Toilet Rough-In: 10" or 12" for measured 11?
I'm working on updating a ranch on a slab, built in 1975. For obvious reasons, I really need to get a toilet set in one of the bathrooms while I'm spending so much time over there.

The floor opening measures EXACTLY 11" from the face of the drywall to the center of the flange. Can I get away with a 12" rough-in without a lot of rigamarole getting the bolts to catch, or am I better with a 10" and having some space behind it?

On my way to the home center tonight, and would love to save some money on a standard 12" if I can get away with it, but I hate setting toilets and don't want to try and see if it's a fools errand. Thoughts?
No. You need a 10.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

They make an offset flange that may get you to 12". Of course, changing the existing flange might be more work than it is worth.

Twinn
Will post for food.
blackhat said:

No. You need a 10.

This... and you will have an extra inch behind the tank to run the paint roller up and down.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Thanks all, 10 it is, and a lot of swearing under my breath avoided if I'd have tried a 12.
Measured 11" from drywall gives it a 11.5" rough in. I'd go with a 12", cheaper and you can usually gain a little when you set it... so you can paint behind
Don't forget to figure in trim. Also they all have different amounts they stick back from the flange.

Ours was going to fit perfect but loml desired she wanted panel wainscoting with breadboard and the thickness of the rail and the thickness of the base trim are just a hare too much. In this case I'll be able to trim the base mould a little to fit.

A friend of mine in Oklahoma has a goofy house where they got the flange way off. There is over a foot between the tank and wall....
MNice said:

Measured 11" from drywall gives it a 11.5" rough in. I'd go with a 12", cheaper and you can usually gain a little when you set it... so you can paint behind

Both American Standard and Kohler spec.s show 1" behind the tank for a 12" rough in. If you leave room to paint behind it, someone will lean back then complain the tank is leaking. I like to keep them close enough that you can't really tell if there's any paint at all (let alone the last paint color) B.T.W. it's only three nuts and then you don't have to lay on your belly painting the wall behind the tank.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
LIL, at the old house I painted the guest bathroom 4 times. The only time I painted behind the tank was the time I pulled the toilet to redo the tile floor.