Shadow Box Questions
I didn't want to highjack Glenn's post.
I'm planning a box to honor an uncle that was KIA in 1944 at Anzio. I only can verify a few of his awards due to the fire in St. Louis. So medals are much of a challenge.
1st question: What backing is recommended to mount medals etc.? 2nd question: I purchased a paving brick to honor him to be placed at the planned museum. I also bought a replica that is 1X2X4 & weighs about 14 oz. I'm thinking of making a frame and bring the felt up so it looks like it's embedded. This is where your suggestions and comments come into play.
What say you?
Jim
Wish I could help ya, but I have no idea what to offer up.

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I've done a number of them, but I usually beg off mounting the stuff because that's part of the job I don't like. The people who have me do shadow boxes know that up front. But I have mounted a couple.

Having said the above...

Craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's will have foam backer board, and there are choices that will have a felt or ultra-suede surface so you don't have put that on it. The back will accept the pins. I've just used a dab of hot glue in addition to pinning them in to hold them in place.

For the brick...if it was me, I'd use extruded foam insulation to provide the substrate under the felt surface. You could hollow out the foam where you want to place that brick, and then use adhesive to place the felt on the foam.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Halfathumb here is my suggestions. 1st off I don't mount any medals. I use Styrofoam and then crushed velvet for the inside of the shadowboxes I make. I then put any ribbons on a ribbon bar then push them into the velvet. I then use ca glue to attach any medals and leave the shadow box open in the air to allow any fumes to escape and then the glue wont turn everything white. I do like the idea of hot glue also. Any brass I put in I also attach with glue. Now for the brick. I wouldn't embed the brick make a shadow box specifically for it and mount it with a contrasting crushed velvet. I look forward to your results.