Threshold between hardwood floor and tiling into bathroom??
When i moved into my house 5 years ago, i pulled up most of the carpet on the 1st floor and refinished the oak flooring underneath. At the end of this fall, i redid the bathroom floor tile (my first tile job... be kind!)
I'd like to change the door-- it's beat up and ugly. Question is what to do as a transition threshold between the wood and the tile. The tile sits about 1/16" higher than the wood. Also, as you can see in the pic, the door jamb is not square to the wood floor. (not sure if i can adjust for this when i install the new door?)
I often see marble thresholds sitting in a notched out piece under the door stop, but in my case, the door is completely on the hardwood, and wouldn't touch the tile area.
I plan to replace the last piece of oak-- that piece is beat up from all the years of carpet tack strips.

**note how it's not square to the flooring

**right trim casing is removed from when i did the tile job
I think I remove the last 2 strips of wood. I'd remake it as one piece, I'd also taper it so it is flush with the floor and the tile. I'd also think about making it contrasting with the oak versus trying to match it... or not.

Also, your tiles look like they are lined up pretty good, I'd consider eliminating the grout line between the wood and tile.

Just some thoughts...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

+1 for Cletus
As long as a slight height differential does not create a problem, I would consider using 5/4 material with a slight top bevel down to each of the floor surfaces.
I'd either do as Cletus suggested or install a pre-milled marble threshold.

John
jteneyck said:

John

if i did a marble threshold, would i remove the oak flooring? how would that work with the fact the door isn't square to the flooring?
Do you slip it under the door stops?
When I did mine, I ran the tile a little farther than you've done, I ran just short of the door stop, I cut the wood flooring back to leave a gap between the tile and wood flooring. I then fashioned a threshold out of a piece of wood that was complimentary to the wood flooring but about 1/4 - 3/8" thicker than the floors and cut a rabbit so the threshold covered both floor edges, I also chamfered the leading and trailing edges of the threshold for a smooth transition.

Both my tile and wood floors are on slab so I used construction adhesive to secure the threshold to the slab. The height of the rabbit compensates for the difference in height of the floors.

For me this produced a nice transition between the flooring materials and eliminates a grout line between the wood and tile that I thought could crack as the wood expanded and contracted.

I had originally considered using a marble threshold for the transition but was not sure I could cut the rabbit in it. Had the wood not worked out I would have tried it next.

Steve
Cdshakes said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

John

if i did a marble threshold, would i remove the oak flooring? how would that work with the fact the door isn't square to the flooring?
Do you slip it under the door stops?

[/blockquote]

Well when you talked about replacing the door and squaring it up, I figured you meant you were going to remove the door jam and casing...

I think that is your only option for fixing it. You'd put in the marble or threshold then.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

If you have to make a replacement wood section, you can make a wood transition strip as well.

I made transitions for our flooring from pieces of flooring(2&3/8" by 3/4" maple). Cut a rib on the bottom to set into the gap between the tile/wood and used screws to install. I left the screws showing, as I did with the counter trim.

CLETUS said:

Well when you talked about replacing the door and squaring it up, I figured you meant you were going to remove the door jam and casing...

I think that is your only option for fixing it. You'd put in the marble or threshold then.

yes, door, casing and all is coming out-- not sure if i'd be able to square it up or not-- guess i'll have to see when i pull it out if it's fixable or not.
In order to protect the edge of the tile, the oak should be higher (even lapped over!) the ceramic tile. Be creative and make a two plank wide saddle. 1x6 oak should do it.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!