Fake craigslist ads?
I live in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas and keep a close tab on the Craigslist tool section. I've messaged several people to later have them give an awkward reply once and then delete the post in my area, then repost a few hundred miles away. I've also had interested "sellers" post with random mismatched images from google trying to pass them off as the same machine.

Has used woodworking tools suddenly become a shady business? What could the motivation for these schemes be? Seems like a slow was to phish for email addresses.
Seems like a phishing scam to collect data. There was a thread about it in woodworking a few weeks ago. Thread
Goes on everywhere but it seems to happen more here. I quit checking locally as there is rarely good stuff there and what is they usually want new prices for. I have been buying stuff off craigslist when I go to cleveland as there are sometimes some great deals many on machines but they don't qualify for checked baggage.
In order to get the most traffic it seems the ones I have seen are unbelievable. 100 bux for a $10,000 piece. Something every hopeful will call on right away.

A lot of it also depends on how you play that game. I have a throw away gmail addy I use only for CL, another only for Flea Bay. None of them have any part about them that is in any way reality based. We WILL be swapping some e-mails before you ever get my cell phone. I'm about done with gmail, they have really crappy SPAM blocking. For Hotmail they have real blockers that you can use in mass so that address never mails you again, if you don't like the mojo the King of Nurombi is floating your way

So many people act like giving your personal phone number is something you should do. Think about it, this is a free ad that they generated online, requires an e-mail addy from them to post the ad. You don't wanna hear from me via e-mail. I don't wanna buy your junk. So far I've lost no sleep, and or $$$$$.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've seen what looks to be phishing scams on used cars here, but have not noticed them for tools. The posters list a really nice car for about 1/4 the going value...I can only assume that it's to get your info, because they're never going to sell the car at that price.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Lots of reasons for those fake ads.
If the prices are consistently high priced it's probably dealers running ads to give people the misconception that prices are higher than they truly are. They do it all over the place.

If the prices seem way low it could be a couple waannabe buyers running many ads to make it look like things aren't bringing a lot, hoping to influence sellers to list low.

And there's lots more games played. People seem too be creative.
stav said:

Seems like a phishing scam to collect data. There was a thread about it in woodworking a few weeks ago. Thread

It could be to collect data or it could be to put "a little something extra" on your device via some sort of hidden attachment or toxic link.
I know it really is a local ad if the prices are too close to retail. If they are way low, then it's a scammer. Of course, the scammers try to go for a pretty decent amount of money, at least into the thousands. I thought CL let you anonymize your email, I'm not giving out any info they don't need
EricU said:

I know it really is a local ad if the prices are too close to retail. If they are way low, then it's a scammer. Of course, the scammers try to go for a pretty decent amount of money, at least into the thousands. I thought CL let you anonymize your email, I'm not giving out any info they don't need

Yes, you can send and receive messages using the CL system. No need to give any info that you do
not want to.

It has worked for me for several different transactions.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me