chuck for non-threaded spindle?
The Vega 1553 I'm putting back to work only has a Morse #2 socket on the shaft, no threads.

Is there any way of attaching a chuck or faceplate to it?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Pull the spindle and have a machine shop cut threads in it?

I have seen adapters intended for reversing a piece without losing concentricity that have a threaded end on a MT2 taper. Maybe one of those tapped for a drawbar.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
You can get this

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html

then put threads into the end like 10-32 rod out of the back with a washer and tighten it up.

should work pretty well for you. Also you could have as many of them as chucks so all you have to do is take the whole thing out to keep it spinning right.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't think that one will work for him as it is a live center. If mounted in the headstock, the spindle and taper will turn, but whatever is mounted in the chuck won't.

Would need one without the bearings of a live center. I have seen them, but the ones I have seen are not threaded for a drawbar so you would have to tap and thread it.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Vega says that that spindle is supposed to be 1-1/4x8.

Assuming that you don't have something screwed onto your spindle, the easiest answer might be to get a replacement spindle from Vega.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Just talked to Vega -- it's a 30mm spindle and they haven't made them for years.

gave me a couple of suggestions for folks that might have/make something or I may end up having a local machine shop thread my existing spindle.

None of the options are cheap

Edit to add: Oneway had the adaptor I needed for $25
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
So you are all set ?
I was going to suggest that you could go the shopsmith way.
They had a smooth spindle with a flat on the spindle, a good fitting piece with some setscrew could then be held on your lathe that way.
Have fun and take care
Glad you found something that'll work. It looks small, but HF has a chuck that mounts directly via MT2 taper. Never used it and have no idea of the quality, but wanted to mention it in case you're interested.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog