back up pads
My close quarters drill had a catastrophic failure yesterday. During the bearings letting go it decided to really end it's life by jumping out of my hands. Of course it landed on the back up pad and bent the shaft. No big deal I'll just order a new one......Evidently the options for back up pads have greatly increased since I bought the last one. Vince alone has 4 different styles and I haven't even looked at other vendors.

So what backup pad do you guys prefer/recommend?
I use the pads from Lee Valley. I did buy Klingspors and Woodcraft ones and they fell apart the first time and that was with light sanding. But that is all I know of the three.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think he only offers two styles of backup pads (I could not get on his web site).
Are you talking about the different interface pads that go on the backup pads?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIp4OjpL7o

I seem to recall he has a Texas backup pad which is suppose to be very tough. Maybe he does have four backup pads now for different uses.
I would have to get onto his web site to look up the backup pad I use (it is his standard one). I do use all three interface pads with it.

Here is the one I should have posted on backup pads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AeuuOjKgM
I have been using the back up pads from Vince for some years now. So, get at least one good mandrill. For the interface pads (the mandrill lasts forever, use the pads till the wear out because they are cheaper than replacing the mandrill), I prefer the radius edged firm pads for grits up to 220 as they are far better at leveling. After that, I go with the orange medium pads for all other grits, and I almost never go beyond 400. I don't like the pads that are the exact same size as the abrasive discs. Main reason is that I never seem to perfectly center the disc on the pad, and the edge of the hook part of the pad leaves 80 grit scratches in the wood. I don't find the need for the radius pads on the inside of the bowl after I switch from the firm pads. The medium pads conform nicely to the curves. Slow sanding speeds cut better. You don't get as much traction at higher speeds, so the abrasives don't cut as well.

robo hippy
I think I am not knowing what Angus is talking about. I thought he is talking about a 2" or 3" pad with Velcro that goes into a drill to sand with. What are you guys talking about?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is what I'm talking about Arlin, I bent the shaft on mine. The interface pads go between the mandrill piece and the sandpaper disc. They give different contours and firmness to the the sanding disc.