Drilling on the Lathe
I'm a new turner and I have just naturally put my drill chuck on the tail stock end of the lathe. I have seen that some mount the chuck/bit on the head stock end - why?

Thanks
mbg said:

I'm a new turner and I have just naturally put my drill chuck on the tail stock end of the lathe. I have seen that some mount the chuck/bit on the head stock end - why?

Thanks

I put the drill bit chuck in the tailstock (as you do it).

That way the work piece is held in the same way as it is held when you are turning it.

Unless you are using a threaded rod to hold the Jacobs chuck in the MT, it can come loose. That is bad and is a reason for me put the Jacobs chuck in the tailstock and to keep one hand holding the chuck into the spindle as I drill.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I almost use the tailstock 100% except when I need to drill something else that did not turn on the lathe or just need a hole for a hanger. But if you want a hole drilled exact center it is the tailstock.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I sometime hold the chuck by hand to drill a very small hole on say a Birdhouse roof for the eyelet, or drill to depth in a endgrain piece like a vase.

I can see someone holding the chuck in the headstock if he has to drill a hole in a piece that is very hard to hold, like a ball shape object, that way the piece can be held by hand to drill the hole, also if it has fo be drilled on an angle or maybe reaming it out, or such thing.

Normally we all use the chuck in the tailstock
Have fun and take care