Push drills
Today, for some reason, I decided to clean up push drills and populate them with bits. I managed to fill most of these with a full set of bits.

From left to right:

1) Johnson & Taintor

2) Millers Falls

3) C.E.Jennings

4) Millers Falls

5) Craftsman

6) Millers Falls No.185A

7) Merit

8) Millers Falls No.188A

9) Millers Falls No.170

10) North Bros No.41

11) Goodell Pratt

12) Stanley No.41 Bell System

13) Stanley No.41Y

14) Stanley 03-043

15) Klein Tools No.64002

16) Stanley Handyman No.46Y
That's a nice little collection you have there.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

At some point back there, you totally crossed the line from "User" to "Collector."
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bibliophile 13 said:

At some point back there, you totally crossed the line from "User" to "Collector."

Yup, and if he continues he will catch me and move from "collector" to hoarder.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Wow, seeing your's makes me jealous. I have several but (a) not all you have (b) certainly not enough bits to fully populate. My first was the 46Y which I bought new ~ 1973-74. Once I found out a few years ago Stanley has discontinued, I buy pretty much everyone I see if priced within reason. Picked up a pristine Stanley 45 with all bits and the original instructions rolled up inside the cap for $5. Also have a 41Y with all the bits that looks like it was never used. So if it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one with the obsession. Thanks for sharing.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Nice bunch of drills, Steve. I have an old E.C. Simmons Keen Cutter that belonged to my dad, similar to your Goodell Pratt or MF drills-

I like the rotating cap for access to the bits -

It uses fluted bits that fit in the four jaw chuck. Do you know of a source for them? It seems like a slick idea, but must have been too costly to make as it seems it died out. My drill is also missing the threaded collar for the collet. I've thought about trying to find another drill to scavenge for the part, but it doesn't make much sense to me to spoil another drill to fix this one that isn't in very good shape to start with.

Phil
DaveParkis said:

[blockquote]Bibliophile 13 said:

Yup, and if he continues he will catch me and move from "collector" to hoarder.

[/blockquote]

Oh boy, Steve's got the "tool flu" bad . . .

Steve, really nice set of push drills, finding all the different bits is the hard part!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Wow, my dad had one just like #16....I remember it fondly.
I was amazed with the removable red cap, and all the bits inside.
Ag
You need several more wood handled ones!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
SteveF said:

Today, for some reason, .....

Hmmmm,...I wonder if the reason was the nearly 3 ft of snow we're getting?

Idle hands and all that jazz...

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?