Decent chuck for a decent price?
Currently I am still using my nova mini lathe chuck, that I used with my jet mini lathe, on my nova 1624 and I am constantly running into capacity issues, of the jaws and I had to buy an adapter that reduced the spindle length capacity. With all the money spent over Christmas I'm going to have a hard time justifying a $300-400 chuck. I've looked at many, online, but wanted some actually user input. Any recommendations? Also, would a larger nova chuck be able to use the jaws from the mini chuck? Anyone have one that no longer use (long shot I imagine chucks are like clamps, you can't have too many)?

Bob
At 25 cents a week and the use of it over 20 years, and money left in the bank, I find the cost of my Oneway Talon pretty cheap.
It is an investment, quality that can be used and will last.
Yes I have half a dozen Oneway chucks, Talon and Stronghold.
Just too lazy to change jaws

Oh ja and made right here in Canada
Have fun and take care
I have used the supernova 2 for about 6-7 years now. I love it. I got the supergrip jaws for large bowls and coring.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
The larger Nova chucks can use all of the Nova jaws. A few of the larger jaws can not be used on the smaller Nova chucks.

I decided early on that mixing Nova and Oneway chucks in my shop would be a bad idea. The Nova chucks tighten on tenons by turning the key counter-clockwise. The Oneway chucks tighten onto a tenon by turning the key clockwise.

Since it is important to snug up the chuck occasionally (especially on green stock), I know that I would be dropping rough bowls on the floor when I turned the key the wrong way if I had to stop and think about the brand of the chuck every time that I reached for a chuck key.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have Novas although there are other nice chucks out there. The larger Novas will accept the jaws you already have.
ToolsPlus offers the SN2 chuck body (body, handle, and jaw screws) for $95 and free shipping. You will need the insert also.
http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23067.html
For additional jaws I would suggest the Powergrips over the standard 100mm bowl jaws.
The 70mm are my go-to jaws.

Yes they do tighten in a recess clockwise while others tighten in a recess counterclock wise. Just remember Righty Recess.

The SN2's came out in 2004 but I also have two of the older Supernova's that came out in 1999, not 20 years old but getting there.
Thanks guys, I went with a SN2.

Bob
iclark said:

<snip>
Since it is important to snug up the chuck occasionally (especially on green stock), I know that I would be dropping rough bowls on the floor when I turned the key the wrong way if I had to stop and think about the brand of the chuck every time that I reached for a chuck key.

Or you could draw an arrow with a Sharpie.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
iclark said:

The larger Nova chucks can use all of the Nova jaws. A few of the larger jaws can not be used on the smaller Nova chucks.

I decided early on that mixing Nova and Oneway chucks in my shop would be a bad idea. The Nova chucks tighten on tenons by turning the key counter-clockwise. The Oneway chucks tighten onto a tenon by turning the key clockwise.

I have "heard" of that happening.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I think you should look seriously at a quick-change chuck. They will run you $300.00, but in the long run can save you a lot.

I have both the Nova Infinity, and the Easy Wood Tools Easy Chuck. Both allow you to change jaws in under a minute without removing the chuck from the lathe.

Many experienced turners end up buying an inexpensive chuck with each set of jaws just to avoid the hassle of changing jaws. Even at $100.00 per chuck, it does not take long to begin saving money.

I created a video comparing the Easy Chuck and the Infinity head to head if you want to see it Second video down the page

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Bob

I have a Bulldog chuck and I really like it as much as my Oneway stronghold

http://www.chucksplus.com/bulldog_scroll_chucks.php The chucks will accept all jaws compatible with the Vicmarc

I also have two of Lee Valleys Evolution heavy chuck

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,330,69091,69183

and I thing between the evolution and bulldog chucks I will sell my strong hold chuck in the future.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.