Chopstick Master
So, has anyone bought a Bridge City Chopstick Master?
Jason

I looked it up and felt a goofy grin on my face as I watched the video.

I would buy one if I owned a boutique Asian fare restaurant and then I could sell them at the door. Other than that, I cannot comment. It must work nicely.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Jason28 said:

So, has anyone bought a Bridge City Chopstick Master?

Re, the restaurant owner: If patrons could make their own dinnerware, it would be a killer marketing tool.

My take: Years ago I visited a tool boutique/gallery in downtown Portland. I had a hard time associating tools with the art gallery display environment of the shop. There was a connection to BCT I recognized some time later from an ad in FWW.

Economicki (sp) has a special view on tools and rabidly devoted following. I really wanted something (ruler? square?) he didn't have in stock at the time. So, but for that missed opportunity, I could have been a follower too and entertained dinner guests with their own-made chopsticks for Safeway Deli Takeout. I would use good old Western fudge and spoon because any sticks I try launch more food across a table then gets to my mouth.
As far as I can tell, this is a success story for Bridge City modeled after other similar stories: Great idea and design from the West and cost-effective production in the East. Computers, cell phones and down the road vehicles, too, are following this path.

It, therefore, is also a sad story that a great tool designer and maker found a cash cow not from woodworkers but from the mass who jumps into for its novelty. It says a lot about the decline of traditional woodworking. I am sure this extra revenue stream will hep the company produce more quality products for woodworkers, though.

Someone told me the chopstick kit sells several hundred dollars and the target market is China (where the kits are also produced). I doubt we will see many of them in this part of the globe.

Simon
Seriously?
Handplanesandmore said:

As far as I can tell, this is a success story for Bridge City modeled after other similar stories: Great idea and design from the West and cost-effective production in the East. Computers, cell phones and down the road vehicles, too, are following this path.

It, therefore, is also a sad story that a great tool designer and maker found a cash cow not from woodworkers but from the mass who jumps into for its novelty. It says a lot about the decline of traditional woodworking. I am sure this extra revenue stream will hep the company produce more quality products for woodworkers, though.

Someone told me the chopstick kit sells several hundred dollars and the target market is China (where the kits are also produced). I doubt we will see many of them in this part of the globe.

Simon

I don't think the China connection is new to BCT manufacture. John's blog is pretty pedantic about shipments of new stuff. Where Holtey built everything, BCT prototypes.

Your lament will be amply substantiated, based on recent and current political, media, and corporate control.
No but if I win the lottery I'm getting a Joint Master Pro
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW