Central Vac Issues
We've had central vacuums in both of our last two homes. The previous one had a Vacuflo, and it ran 7 years without a hitch. Based on that, we had a Vacuflo installed in our current home 10 years ago. The motor failed at least three or four times in the first five years. We didn't pay that much attention (at least I didn't, my wife was communicating with the company about warranty work), as each time they would show up and fix it for free. Each time they replaced the motor.

The last time they came out, about 5-6 years ago, the guy said that Vacuflo had made some modifications to the motor and this one should last longer. And it did. But now it has failed again, and it is no longer under warranty, so we have to make a decision.

I will take the unit down myself, as I don't want to pay for a house call. I've done a little searching on Amazon and have seen central vac motors, brand names are LAMB and AMETEK (I'm not sure if these would work or not, or what size to get). Are they difficult to replace? Is this something I can do myself, or should I just bite the bullet and have the experts do it?
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Obviously, the experts aren't.

If the replacement motor is form/fit compatible, your fine.

Regarding size, match current draw.

I presume the motors you are looking at say they are exact fit replacements.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mr_Mike said:

Obviously, the experts aren't.

If the replacement motor is form/fit compatible, your fine.

Regarding size, match current draw.

I presume the motors you are looking at say they are exact fit replacements.

Yes, we are not very impressed by the people that installed and serviced it. Only reason we've stuck with them is it hasn't cost us anything yet, and they have been fast to respond. Makes me wonder if they were abusing Vacuflo's warranty policy to their benefit.

I've been doing more online research, it appears the replacement motor is an Ametek Lamb 119915.07. So far, I have not found it in Canada, but several places in the US have it listed in their online catalogs. Many say it is out of stock, probably because the unit is 10 years old.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I didn't get a match at Grainger, my go to place for motors

Maybe you can find one that fits from their selection.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Are the windings burning out or what?

I have been looking at central vacs for the shop more so than the house. But after we move I may do one in the house. I'd really like to have a few floor sweeps like in the kitchen and other areas where I track sand in etc.
Wild Turkey said:

I didn't get a match at Grainger, my go to place for motors

Maybe you can find one that fits from their selection.

Hey thanks Wild Turkey, I hadn't thought of them and they did not come up on internet searches. They have a lot of motors listed, not the one I need, but they could probably order it. I'll give them a call.
Try Lighthouse vacuums

http://www.centralvacuummotor.com/lighthouse.htm
Whew! Dodged a bullet here, thanks to the Vacuflo people. I was in the midst of calling places looking for motors, and Vacuflo called us back and said they would fix it under warranty. Said that was the most heavy-duty motor they had, and no way should it fail. I had to take it down, haul it to their shop and will pay for labor, but that's minor compared to the motor cost. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.
My vacuflo has burned out one motor as well. Not sure what the deal was. It kept tripping the breaker and the installer kept saying it was something else on the circuit, but I had already switched breakers and it was on a dedicated circuit. Mine is only a year and a half old. The updated motor fixed it. They said there was some kind of problem with the motors on them.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Estrogen Hostage said:

My vacuflo has burned out one motor as well. Not sure what the deal was. It kept tripping the breaker and the installer kept saying it was something else on the circuit, but I had already switched breakers and it was on a dedicated circuit. Mine is only a year and a half old. The updated motor fixed it. They said there was some kind of problem with the motors on them.

When I took it in, I asked the guy why so many failures and what they changed. He said on the 466Q model, they initially did not put vents in the top of the cover near the motor. It wasn't getting enough air, so it tended to run hot. Now they have a bunch of vents.

I asked what the warranty was on the replacement, and he said lifetime.