IKEA LED work light
I am thinking about buying about 5 of these lights to install on some different machines:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

I would like to mount the base of the flex line directly to a metal junction box (like a typical handy box - which in most cases is already mounted to the tool in an ideal location) and hardwire the light into a switch on that box.

The plug on these lamps look a bit unusual. Is there a transformer inside the plug? If so, my idea might get a lot more complicated. I did not want to install a receptacle in the box.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.
Steve
How bright is 70 lumens?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I have heard these lights are good for lighting small areas. I want to use them on bandsaws and drill presses.
Steve
They are good little lights. I pocjed mine up in the clearance spot and now i want to get a few more but ikea is a long drive just for a couple lights.I have one on my miter saw. I have it sticking out over the fence so I can move it around and face the blade area. It you need allot more lumens for the cut line then you need to look at upgrading the overall shop lighting.
Also the light is a nice white color so it's easier to see lines than with a yellow loght.

There is a power supply in the box. I assume it's 12v but I haven't checked it. I have thought of something similar to you. I want to drill a hole in the saw and mount the light with the transformer inside and wired to the saw. Or just put a magnet on the base and stick it anywhere.

Lots of use for these little lights.
arnman said:

The plug on these lamps look a bit unusual. Is there a transformer inside the plug?

Yup. My meter says 4V DC out.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
A friend has been taking out the base weight and replacing it with a donut speaker type magnet so it sticks to a metal surface.

They ARE $10.00 lights, so expect a crappy on-off switch and a flimsy neck. The flimsy gooseneck whips if the machine has running vibrations This gets visually annoying.

I use one on a Baldor 6" grinder and it does quite a nice job of lighting up an area. If you've got smooth running machines, it should work well for a band saw or drill press.

Its no Moffatt, but it isn't priced like one either.
If you want to spend a little more, but not a ton more, Lee Valley sells this.

LED work light
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Aram said:

If you want to spend a little more, but not a ton more, Lee Valley sells this.

LED work light

I've got 2 of the Lee Valley lights and they are excellent. Lots of light and batteries seem to last quite a while. At my age, I need all the light I can get and these lights really fill the bill.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I have picked up a few of the snake lights like that from thrift stores for $2 or so and then throw a normal LED bulb in instead of what ever they come with. The last one was a real funky 2 pin halogen style, so I did have to put a new bulb base and cord on it, so I probably was about $10 total including bulb.

worth looking if your wife drags you to thrifts stores all the time, like mine does.
I think I will give the Lee Valley light a try. I don't keep the lights on so long that it would be a big drain on the batteries. I will probably just get one and move it from machine to machine as needed.

My only concern is that the base might scratch the paint on the machine. I have one magnetic base light that I won't use on my restored machines.

Are the Lee Valley bases made to prevent scratching of the paint?
Steve