Pencil box
That's how it started out it's life back in '89, but it worked it's way up to the storage compartment for my Dockyard carving tools..

Nice little project for hand tool woodworking..

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Cool!

It is fun to see how styles change over the years. About the same time, earlier, a round-over bit was one of my favorites. About the only time I would consider the same now is for protection from injury--think babies, but recently, stumbling old farts.

I am ignorant. Are dockyard tools a type, brand?
This box was made of basswood with only hand tools, so it worked easily...Dockyard IS a brand of micro carving tools available from 1MM up to about 5MM IIRC. They are tiny!!!!!

http://www.mdiwoodcarvers.com/ProductDet...oductID=68

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nice

Just recieved a book on chip carving and I have lots of butternut for small boxes. Now allI need are some suitable chip carving knifes.
Butternut is a wonderful wood for chip carving as you know...and chip carving knives are nice to have, but any small, very sharp straight bladed knife can be used for shallow cuts.

I am in the "thinking stage" of making a couple out of a small piece of High speed steel..In a former life, it was a small parting tool for a metal lathe. I may never get "aroundtoit"!!

"Thinking" is what I do mostly, these days!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Great looking box. I hope that I still have some of the boxes I've made after that much time.
I would like to see some pics of your boxes if you have any you can post, Daniel!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very nice work. Thanks for the post.

Eric.