Patching/filling nail holes in concrete floor
We're renovating our basement and have pulled up the carpet and removed some walls that were in place when we bought the house. The carpet tack strips came up ok, but left divots every place where the tack strip was nailed into the concrete floor. The walls were fastened to the concrete floor with power nails. I got them out, but like the tack strips, they took chunks out of the concrete, only larger (up to one inch across and perhaps 3/8" deep).

In addition, the concrete floor has stress-relief cuts the length and width oft he floor in several places. The house is 12 years old, but there have been no settling cracks to date. The cuts are about 3/16" wide.

We will recover this floor with resilient vinyl plank. The manufacturer does not direct use of an underlayment pad nor a moisture barrier such as poly film. The manufacturer's documentation doesn't mention it at all.

I need to fill those divots and stress relief lines to keep them from telegraphing through the vinyl. What's a good material to use? Thinset? I don't intend to pour down a self leveling concrete; I don't have significant leveling issues to overcome.

Any help appreciated.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Do you have to use the vinyl product? I'm not sure I would do that over concrete.. for the reasons you stated. I'd probably use a thick and wide floating laminate.

That being said, <a href="r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvLnE6ZWdhQAiVUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1453753447/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sakrete.com%2fproducts%2fdetail.cfm%2fprod_alias%2fTop-N-Bond-Concrete-Patcher/RK=0/RS=leUy1nfr0tXsCo_QG.zZbL3RBsk-" >Top'n Bond</a> or something like it should do what you want.
When I was remodeling CVS drug stores I used Dependable crack filler for that
Snipe Hunter said:

Do you have to use the vinyl product? I'm not sure I would do that over concrete.. for the reasons you stated. I'd probably use a thick and wide floating laminate.

That being said, &lt;a href="r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvLnE6ZWdhQAiVUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1453753447/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sakrete.com%2fproducts%2fdetail.cfm%2fprod_alias%2fTop-N-Bond-Concrete-Patcher/RK=0/RS=leUy1nfr0tXsCo_QG.zZbL3RBsk-" &gt;Top'n Bond&lt;/a&gt; or something like it should do what you want.

Yeah...I'm kinda stuck on the vinyl plank. I have had 650 sq ft of it still in the box for about 15 months. Got a good deal on it when we bought it for several other projects, and the basement floor was on the "long term to-do list" so I bought enough to do that, too.

I've done click-lock flooring in a previous house basement. While that was very easy, I didn't like the look.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Isn't vinyl itself a moisture barrier?

I'm just asking, since I know nothing about basement floors.
Use the correct moisture rated adhesive and I believe this is a glue down floor?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I put vinyl over tile and I used grout to fill in a large missing tile. It cured hard and overnight. Feels like concrete. Any color works. But you have to get it flat the first time. You cannot go back and sand it down afterwards.

Or use Bondo. You can sand Bondo. It seems to stick to everything.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Make sure your floor is clean and smooth, as vinyl will telegraph the inconsistencies of the sub floor.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Getting it right the first time is always the goal...It can be ground down, with either a carborundum or diamond grinding wheel...Lots of dust/mess without a good vac system (or with water, but that introduces a host of other issues...).
Any decent flash patching product available from a flooring supply house should do the trick. Some products are limited to a max thickness per application.
woodhead said:

Make sure your floor is clean and smooth, as vinyl will telegraph the inconsistencies of the sub floor.

Al

Some of the snap together vinyl planks have a substrate that minimizes that issue.

Here is an example. Watch the 3 minute video.

http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-categ...s/5-plank/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.