water based dye problem - white fuzz
Hi, all.
I've been using water-based powered dyes for a while and every so often a piece will get this stuff like white fuzz or power on it as it dries. This weekend I used some red TT first and after that dried, put on some pink Moser brand. Both were water based and I've used those two in combination before with no issues. I flood the surface and let it dry - I don't wipe off excess. Dye is mixed strong using distilled water and I keep the mixed stuff around so what I used had been sitting for at least a few months. The wood is birch. The powdery stuff wipes off pretty easily but does get into the pores so it can be a pain. I'll probably sand the piece and start over with some fresh dye but can anyone tell me what's going on here so I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks,
Mike
Do you wet the bare wood and, when dry, knock the raised grain down with 3M pads or fine sandpaper? This is a must when using water based dyes.
My only theory is possibly fine saw dust. Are you removing the fine saw dust very well before finishing? If your closing down the pores with fine sanding on a wood like birch or maple, this may be a surface tension issue with water and fine dust. Just a guess and possibly a wrong one. A picture would help.

Could it be raised grain?
Thank for the responses. I raise the grain and do a light sanding before applying the first color of dye and then do some spot sanding before a second application. Interestingly, the fuzz only showed up after the second application and it wipes away - so it isn't raised grain. It looks more like a residue - like the salt residue on the floor this time of year where you put your shoes. I wish I had taken some pics. I'll try to duplicate it this weekend if I can carve out a little shop time.
I think it may be an element of the dye crystalizing on the surface since you’re not wiping the excess off the surface.
Yes! That's what it looks like. So is wiping the excess dye the only fix? I feel like the colors are stronger if I leave the piece wet.
The color is likely deeper if you leave it wet and let it dry like that, but whatever color didn't absorb is just lying on the surface and will muddy the grain if you really go nuts. The better solution to getting a deeper color is to use a higher concentration of dye, flood it on, let it absorb, and wipe off the excess with the same sponge you used to apply it. With the right concentration of dye you'll get the color you want with no nasty side effects, other than grain raising which hasn't been much of a problem for me with walnut.

John
jteneyck said:

The color is likely deeper if you leave it wet and let it dry like that, but whatever color didn't absorb is just lying on the surface and will muddy the grain if you really go nuts. The better solution to getting a deeper color is to use a higher concentration of dye, flood it on, let it absorb, and wipe off the excess with the same sponge you used to apply it. With the right concentration of dye you'll get the color you want with no nasty side effects, other than grain raising which hasn't been much of a problem for me with walnut.

John

John is right. You will be better off removing excess dye. I have found that if I don't remove excess I can end up with darker spots also. Once the water flashes off any dye that did not soak in is just going to be left as a powder on the surface.
Thanks, all. I'll try using a stronger mix and wiping. Hope to get some garage time this weekend to work on it.