Preconditioner on walnut
Working on a large black walnut piece. Brushed on and wiped off Minwax Preconditioner. Few days later, decided to go over it again with 220 by hand.
So do I need to precondition it again before I stain it, or is it good to go?
Don't ask why stain on walnut. Customer is in charge. Wants it all of an even tone. Thanks for the help.
If you really need the pre conditioner then I'd say yes you need it again. Walnut typically stains quite even though.

Dont think you would really need a preconditioner for walnut.

As for staining it, its whatever the customer wants. I think dyeing might possibly be a better option. You can get some really cool effects on walnut with dyes.
I agree with dying walnut. I like using TT dark walnut dye--lightly albeit--to help fight future orangish patina. It also blends the sapwood nicely.

One of the coolest effects I have seen on walnut was a Queen Ann dressing table. The craftsman bleached the walnut, then used orange dye and garnet shellac. About the nicest finish I have ever seen on walnut.
Scoony is right. For walnut dye is a better option. If you are sealing the wood with a conditioner and then applying stain you will just be floating pigment on top of the wood. It will probably give you a muddy finish. Keep in mind I'm just guessing here because I've never seen stain used on walnut. Now dye is another whole different animal. There are a ton of things you can do with dyes on walnut. I use dyes all the time to blend sapwood. I also know quite a few guys who have problems finding walnut that isn't steamed and use dye to replicate the air dried unsteamed color.
Pardon my ignorance but why use preconditioner on walnut? One take is Wood Conditioner Confusion . Frankly if you want to pop the grain and control/avoid blotching simply use a tone coat of shellac or a gell stain.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes