Grinder Tool Rest
I can't seem to find the right search words to find a previous discussion on this.
I'm thinking of replacing the poor tool rests on my grinder with better ones. To me, the Wolverine system looks like it is the most sturdy. What is your experience with it? I have also considered making my own. For those of you that have done so, I would like to see what you did.
I can't help you finding the post, but I do own a wolverine jig. I love it. When locked in, it is sturdy as hell.

HTH
-Darkheart
"Truth is cheap, but Information costs."
I have a Wolverine jig too and highly recommend. If you just need a rest check out the Robo Rest by member Robo Hippie. Lee Valley also makes a nice grinder rest.

Doug
Highly recommend you check into a "Robo Rest". Made and marketed by one of the guys who hangs out in the turning forum. One of the best designed after market items I've seen. I have one I added to my wolverine set up and it's 1000% better.

Robo rest
Steve K

Back in the days when I made hundreds of handplane blades and cutters, I burned through several rests until I found the Wolverine. It took a licking for years and still looks brand new. Highly recommended.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered two each of the Wolverine bases and platforms.
I have your names. So, I know where to send any complaints.
I just recently got the wolverine system and can say that it is a huge improvement over anything I have used in the past. One thing that I did that was recomended was to flaten the top surface. Where the bracket is welded to the underside creates a very slight rise on the top surface. It was noticable when I was grinding plane blades. I used a file to do most of the work, then rubbed it upside down on sandpaper on granite. Nice flat and smooth now.

That recomendation came from woodnetters in the turning section.
Not familiar with Wolverine or any rests except an accessory that Veritas makes.
I made my own adjustable rest from scrap wood,mdf table . It pivots on an arc and slides in and out on a mdf base. The base is dadoed in two places so the table moves back and forth in a straight line.The sides have an arc thru cut on each side that hold the lock knobs.The bottom has two runners that slide in the bottom dadoes.
Made this about 15 years ago and had to replace the table top once.
Replaced it with mdf again but this time I glued a piece of sheet metal on the surface.
I did not bother with a dado like the Veritas.Used mostly for grinding metal lathe cutters.
mike
I have the Wolverine rest and the RoboRest. The Robo is easier to use, and there is no difference in stability or performance.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com