Random orbital sander
My Porter-Cable random orbital sander is making lots of grinding noises (but still works) and is probably going to die soon. I have a palm sander (vibratory) but I don't recall the last time I used it.

My reading indicates that the P-C machines are not the most durable.

The Rigid sander got some good reviews, has a life time warranty and is priced very aggressively.

Any opinions or suggestions on a replacement? I use it for both rough sanding and final sanding.

I suspect that the canoe magazine that tested these had rough sanding primarily in mind.

Suggestions and recommendations are welcomed.

Regards,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Do not know where you heard that about PC sanders but i recommend them. Maybe you just need a new pad.
John T.
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Do not know where you heard that about PC sanders but i recommend them. Maybe you just need a new pad.

I replaced the pad a short while ago. The noises sound like transmission noises or gear grinding. It is also vibrating more than before. There is definitely some internal gearing issue. I will continue to use it until it dies. It is about 15 years old and has had moderate use. I would have thought it would last much longer.
I HAVE NOTICED SOME PC TOOLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY ONCE WHERE
GEE I HAVE THIS THING ABOUT USA MADE TOO! USED TO THINK PC WAS TOP OF LINE
HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF DOING AIR I SWITCHED TO THAT WAY BACK
IT SEEMS THAT THE TOOLS LAST LONGER
south vietnam war collage
JIMB49 said:

I HAVE NOTICED SOME PC TOOLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY ONCE WHERE
GEE I HAVE THIS THING ABOUT USA MADE TOO! USED TO THINK PC WAS TOP OF LINE
HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF DOING AIR I SWITCHED TO THAT WAY BACK
IT SEEMS THAT THE TOOLS LAST LONGER

I have a pancake compressor. It does not generate enough volume of air for this sort of equipment. I don't think I will get a larger compressor.

Mine puts out 2 CFM at 90 pounds; the sanders seem to want 4 CFM at that poundage.

I like the pancake because it is light and small and easy to move around. But it is limited to nailers and the like. I can't paint with it or drive motors with it.
OK I SEE YOUR POINT NOW
GUESS BEING OLDER THAN SOME AND RETIRED I GET YOUR POINT
BUT TO ME IT SURE DOES SEEM THEY JUST DO NOT MAKE[ PC] THAT IS LIKE THEY USED TO I DO HAVE A RANDOM MILW I USE ITS OK BUT I CAN NOT LEAN ON IT LIKE THE AIR
south vietnam war collage
welcome to the forums

And you can turn off the caps lock you do not need it here
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Jim, What compressor are you using with your sander?

Welcome to the forum.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Really like my Bosch. Its pretty smooth. Not fond of the Milwaukee - it wants to bounce around with a vac hooked up - less so if using the included dust bag.
What size are you talking about? I have an older Rigid 6" that is great, they are made in China now so I can't comment on it. I recently bought their 5" and had to take it back, I was using my shop vac and it made the sander almost useless, too much suction, then the static built up in the hose and I kept getting shocked! I read a few more reviews and found out this was a common issue and would lead to the speed control getting destroyed, it won't work after that. If you plan on using a shop vac, which you should for your health later, don't get the Rigid 5".
So my suggestion is anything else.

Myles
-----------------------
mouse jockey