Spalted maple, some interesting grain.
Finish turning some spalted maple bowls I roughed out over the spring. The grain in these is really pretty, almost like there are two different species of wood in the bowls.

The grain is really obvious on one side of the spalt line and almost invisible on the other.
Steve K

Very nice! Both the wood and the bowls are really pretty. :-)
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Nicely done.
What's the finish?
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Beautiful...those are just too unique and special to use. Display pieces only! Well done and thanks for sharing here.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
jerickson said:

What's the finish?

Minwax antique oil, probably 5 coats or so, sanded with 1,000 grit between a couple coats. Then buffed.
Steve K

They look great, I love spalted maple. I have a 2"x2"x14" piece that I need to do something with.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Yep that is some nice stuff.

I have seen a piece that was very curly with spalting, ambrosia, with mineral stains. You could not even see the curl very well with all the other colors so to me it was wasted.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.