I'm officially building a shed
got a zoning permit (no building permit needed) and it's good until January 2019. So I might be able to get it done
I hate working under a deadline
Poppa's Woodworks
Better get some help.

Used to reside in a trailer park. I* know, supposed to say Mobile Home Community, but there were more trailers there than mobile homes when we moved in.

Had a tin 8' by 10' shed. Not big enough. Added another. Still not enough. Plus, I was starting to get into woodworking and needed shop room.

Built a 12' by 20'(replacing existing structure so $5 permit) wood frame, T1-11 siding and metal roofed.

Had been building houses for Habitat for a couple years, so framing was pretty easy.

Put the entire building up in three days. Foundation(8" by 8" timbers on 1" pavers), floor joists, decking, and walls framed in one day. Siding, roof rafters, and built/installed the doors on day 2. Installed the roofing panels, ridge cap, and painted the siding on day 3.

Neighbors could not believe I built in in that short a time. It stood for almost 25 years before some one disassembled it(all screwed together) and moved it.
EricU said:

got a zoning permit (no building permit needed) and it's good until January 2019. So I might be able to get it done

"Zoning permit". That always gets me. They mean "Tax increase permit".
What happens after the deadline? Oh yeah- they want more money for the new permit and the taxes will be higher.

You're going to need a crew- a big crew! The slab? alone needs time to cure.
Better buy a kit then.
Well you got the easy part out of the way. Next is getting weather to cooperate and then the toughest, someone to fund it!
Good luck and of course pictures will be appreciated.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
daddo said:

... "Zoning permit". That always gets me. They mean "Tax increase permit".

Yeah. But fortunately, our tax folks may take a few years to actually add it to the valuation. I know of one City of Seguin permitted HUGE addition that went 'unnoticed' by the appraisal district for seven or eight years. Wasn't until the house sold that they finally caught it. Close to $100k in valuation that didn't get taxed for that whole time. I put up a shed, also permitted, and it took two years for them to add it. Apparently the paperwork flows slowly.
Most city's in the dfw area do their appraisals by aircraft. There is a company that flies around and they take pics from different angles and then they use a computer program that draws a line around the house and then they can figure the area of the house.
Most places outbuildings aren't counted for property taxes as most only tax living space which also doesn't include garage space.
my understanding is that tax increases come from building permits. Zoning permits are just required to make sure that you aren't violating the zoning ordinances. Building permits are done by code enforcement hired by the township, but then go through the tax assessment office in county government, zoning permits are done by the township. As others have said, I don't think this will affect my taxes because it's not habitable space.
EricU said:

my understanding is that tax increases come from building permits. Zoning permits are just required to make sure that you aren't violating the zoning ordinances. Building permits are done by code enforcement hired by the township, but then go through the tax assessment office in county government, zoning permits are done by the township. As others have said, I don't think this will affect my taxes because it's not habitable space.

so what'cha gonna build? what size...etc? i was going to build one this past summer, and ended up having the amish build it for me. i dug out the base-- 4x6 perimeter with 4" of 3/4" rock underneath (it's what my township wanted). I got a 12 x 16...it's huge! i have since ran electricity out to it... love goin on there with just a flick of the switch, can see what i'm lookin for--no flashlights.