Laguna Jointer question

A new friend has a really new 6" Helical head jointer. I went over to his place today to have a go at it because he said it simply wouldn't cut straight.

What I found is, it doesn't cut straight..

It cuts reverse spring joints and they don't appear to be pressure based.

here are some pics

I've heard J-Grout explain what causes this but cant find his old post.

Anyone have any suggestions ?
Out feed table is too high by a few thousandths. If the outfeed were any higher the board would be stopped in its travel completely. Too low and you get snipe. Drop the outfeed table down to where you get snipe and slowly raise it until the snipe is gone. Go to far and you will be back where you started.
Are the infeed and outfeed tables coplaner?
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

knotscott said:

Are the infeed and outfeed tables coplaner?

would not matter if the outfeed table was set incorrectly or in this case too high.

setting jointer tables
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Having beds coplaner is nice, but the most important relationship is the height between the outfeed and the jointer blades.

This is assuming that the stock is being held down on the outfeed table as jointing progresses.

Also, is your friend jointing with concave or convex face down? (the jointer will happily keep a convex surface convex)

Matt
let me rephrase it

there is no good reason for the tables to be coplaner if the outfeed table is too high or low.

There is a way to do the job hard or you can do it easy. Following a logical process that eliminates the simple stuff always made more sense to me.

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

While you're sorting out the jointer, tell your friend to put a splitter or, better yet, both a splitter and guard on his table saw. Or buy a SawStop.

John
jteneyck said:

While you're sorting out the jointer, tell your friend to put a splitter or, better yet, both a splitter and guard on his table saw. Or buy a SawStop.

John

haha.. good eye ..

Thanks.

I'll send him a link to this.
Thanks for the responses, Much appreciated.