Festool dust extractor - again
I know this has been discussed several times at least but I'm at a point where I'm going to buy something in the next week or so. I have the smaller 5" festool ROS and I want to get a good dust extractor. I'm thinking the CT mini but am looking for other thoughts/suggestions. I may at some point get another Festool sander (bigger size) but don't see me going much farther with festool products. I know I want variable speed and the tool start up features.

I'm not opposed to the Festool pricing but if there is a good quality alternative that has the tool start up and variable speed features at a better price then I would consider it.

any suggestions?
Rick

Would you ever want the festool boom setup. If so you may want a ct26 sized dust extractor vs the mini. If yo know you are gettnganother sander they have combo pricing discounts that mght be worth waiting a bit longer for vs just buyng their shopvac next week.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a porter cable unit.. startup with tool turnon and variable speed suck.. does its job.

I have a 48e festool for sale.. shipping would probably be $125 though.
My Day Job
well, bye.
Rick,
I have quite a few dust extractors and have had and sold a few more. I have a Fein, Festool CT midi, several Rigid shop vacs and a wall mounted central vac unit designed for a whole house. I have had and sold one of the Dewalt and Proter Cable models. My favorite hands down is the CT midi. I opted for it to get the little bit of additional capacity over the mini and the cost difference wasn't that big. I use the CT for my sanders so I wasn't real concerned about the capacity which is why I didn't get one of the bigger units. The thing has loads of power when you turn the power up but it is still very quite. I would say it has more suction than even my large Rigid vacs. When the power is turned down to use with the sander the sound of the air coming in the hose is louder than the vacuum motor. If you wanted to pair it with one of the pre separators it will work really well too. I also really like the self cleaning bags. It seems to maintain is power. The Festool vacuums are expensive as are most of the other vacs labeled dust extractors. Not all Festool products are head and shoulders better than their competition but in this case I think you get what you pay for. If I got a fantastic deal on another brand unit I might consider buying one but unless there was a deal I couldn't pass up I'd buy the Festool every time
Dave - Thanks - sounds like your set up is very similar to what I want to do - just sanding. Looks like the midi is another $50. Is it just capacity that makes the mini and midi different or are there other features/benefits to the midi?
Rick

Rick,
The only difference between all the models is the capacity. The bigger models used to be more powerful but they are all the same now. I wanted the bigger vac on the off chance I used it for another tool in the future. Right now the only Festool tools I have are sanders but I do have a track saw (Grizzly) and a few other tools that could use the vac. The difference in overall size isn't that great but the extra capacity is nice.
The midi and mini also have a hose garage which makes storing the hose easier. The hose on the midi also connects through an elbow and some have reported larger pieces getting stuck. But if you're just going to use it for sanding it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and as Mike said, you can't use a boom arm. Also can't use the work center I believe.
The midi also takes a stack of systainers for your sanders and other tools. Don't know about the mini. I never saw myself getting anything more than the tracksaw - which got used outside for sheet breakdown. Well now I have the vac, 2 sanders and a router. Stuff multiplies.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
OK - how about the 48E - it seems to have basically the same specs as the mini/moidi except for much larger capacity and a bit wider range of variable speed. I'm picturing this to be a monster in terms of size - maybe too big in terms of manuvering around the shop. Its probably way more than needed for sanding but does it give me any advantage in terms of other tools. seems like it wouldn't given the same suction specs?

Rick
Rick

To my knowledge they all perform identically. Pick the one that meets your needs the best.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard