Looking for interior design/renovation/fit-up software.
I'm about to renovate a couple bathrooms and bedrooms and move some interior walls. I usually use AutoCad so I can layer in hvac, electrical and plumbing but my wife doesn't know how to use it. We need something more user friendly. I

f it simply lays out a scale drawing where I (she) can easily manipulate walls and fixtures and maintain accuracy, that would be fine. The ability for a material takeoff would also be a plus.

Looking in the realm of cheap to free if possible.
I used Autocad for drawing houses in the dark ages before chief architect. It works but it's slow. Chief is made for structures and you can have a house drawn in no time and then do the interior elements and snap a virtual 3d view. There used to be a trial download of chief but I don't know anymore.

I only use Autocad for simple 2d stuff anymore. I like Autocad but it just isn't very good for houses or 3d parts compared to the other software out there.
I was wondering what software all these shows like Fixer Upper use. And found out they all use sketch up
So, the wife says "ask your buddies on woodnet" for recommendations. So I do. 10 minutes later she says "hey, I bought Home Designer Suite. I already downloaded it".

Snipe Hunter said:

So, the wife says "ask your buddies on woodnet" for recommendations. So I do. 10 minutes later she says "hey, I bought Home Designer Suite. I already downloaded it".

Well let us know what you think of it. I'm a big fan of chief architect but it's not a program for the regular guy.
I assume the home designer version is a simplified version that works similarly.
I use sketch up. However, there is a learning curve.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Snipe Hunter said:

Contact Joanna Gaines.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

[blockquote]Snipe Hunter said:

Contact Joanna Gaines.

Mel

[/blockquote]

I would love too but the wife won't let me. She's funny that way. And not "ha-ha" funny.
Dang, thought this might be your big chance. Tell her it is a professional consult.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Also don't forget that you can use that for your shop designs and download the 3d shop machines to place as well. Planers drill presses etc it's all available in the download able library for free. As with pretty much any house fixture you could want.