How to get an urban log milled?
I live in a townhouse complex in Chicago, right next to a big ash that is coming down this winter. I probably could get the main log--it's about 20-24 inches in diameter. But how could I get it milled? Would anyone do it? Would it be expensive? Should I try to split it myself? I'll be grateful for any suggestions. I hate to see it chipped or cut up for firewood, but then I don't want to take on more than I can handle.
Google for a local sawmill.
I sincerely doubt you'll find one if you live in the city though.
Find out from Woodmizer and Timberking who owns portable bandmills near you. They can do it or tell you who can. You will need a place to air dry the results.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
You might also check with any local woodworking clubs and see if they can help. You might be able to work a deal with whomever you find to share the wood.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Check with urban/reclaimed wood guys, they are used to the problems and will for the job for you. Regular sawyers are often shy of metal and other problems.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I did check at Horigan Urban Forest Products in Chicago. but they would charge $5.50 a board foot to cut and kiln dry a log--which is probably more than the cost of ash at a lumber shop.
TomFromStLouis said:

Find out from Woodmizer and Timberking who owns portable bandmills near you. They can do it or tell you who can. You will need a place to air dry the results.

^^^^^This
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Would owners of such a mill be willing to touch an urban log?
overland said:

Would owners of such a mill be willing to touch an urban log?

Usually if you're willing to replace the blade if it gets damaged.
Yeah, Horigan is nuts.

The above suggestions are good.

There are folks around w/ alaskan mills. I can check w/ one of my friends if you like. You might also check w/ some of the people listed in here.
Illinois Sawmill Directory (2013)

I'd be very interested in what you turn up. Please update this with any good info you find.

job