Walker Turner 14" bandsaw base and motor
I've been restoring a Walker Turner 14" bandsaw that I found locally on Craigslist and documenting on Owwm. It was complete minus stand/motor/wiring. My longer term plan is to build an MDF base in the style of the original but for now I'd like to get the saw up and running before investing that kind of time. Are there commercially available bases available? Any searching that I've done generally just returns mobile bases. Alternately I guess I could just build a simple plywood box.

I'm also trying to decide on a motor. Is there a substantial difference between the cheap Grizzly/Harbor Freight/etc motors and the Baldor/Leeson etc stuff? I'm trying to find something 1-1.5hp single phase, 1725rpm, TEFC. Any specific recommendations?
For the stand, most manufactures sell generic tool stands that would hold your saw. Just search tool stand and look for one you like. They will probably need some sort of mod to get them to work with your saw specifically, so it might be just as easy to build your own.
There are quite a few available..look for "tool stands".

Regarding motors, there's probably little practical difference for a hobby machine. That said it seems wrong to saddle an old American tool with a Chinese motor..try Craigslist or similar for a good used American motor at a new Chiese motor price.

(For example, I spent $140 to put a used 3hp made in USA Dayton TEFC 1725 rpm motor on my bandsaw).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I would just build the plywood box and dont worry about making it pretty. Save that for the MDF art deco version.
I made the base for my 16" out of plywood from the BORG:

It works just fine
chris
Just a few days ago on owwm was a delta enclose BS base for 50.00.Do a search using band saw----Carroll
Quote:

...Is there a substantial difference between...

There sure is, the price. I put a 3hp HF motor and riser on my HF band saw 7 or 8 years ago, maybe more, and have used it for re-sawing loads of 1/4" panels for A&C projects.

As most I think would agree, If it were for something that ran all day, every day, I'd probably have opted for the "high priced spread" but for hobby use, the added expense is uncalled for.
Mike

MikeinKCMO said:

[blockquote]Quote:

...Is there a substantial difference between...

There sure is, the price. I put a 3hp HF motor and riser on my HF band saw 7 or 8 years ago, maybe more, and have used it for re-sawing loads of 1/4" panels for A&C projects.

As most I think would agree, If it were for something that ran all day, every day, I'd probably have opted for the "high priced spread" but for hobby use, the added expense is uncalled for.

[/blockquote]

Let's just agree to disagree here.

I had one of those HF bandsaws for a long while. While it did cut, it was never without a plethora of tweaking before, during and after the process.

I bought this sad sack some time ago:

And with about 6 weeks of very part time labor and about the cost of a HF bandsaw, turned it into this beast:

It NEVER needs adjustment, alignment or any other kind of fiddling. Turn it on and it cuts. I don't even release the tension.
chris
Interesting diatribe to say the least, however, the OP's question was about motor selection, not what it's mounted on.

As to your unbridled praise of your WT saw, there must be a reason why, they, are no longer produced.
Mike

Great looking saw. I'd love to have the 16" someday.

I'm considering the following Leeson (apologies if we're not allowed to post Ebay links!):

Leeson 1.5hp

Any issues with this for my application? I'm not terribly familiar with the mounting options...56HC?