Narrow kerf rip blade by Freud
A few years ago I purchase a narrow kerf rip blade by Freud.

The project I bought it for was waylaid and I did not use it until this weekend.

It makes a cut about 1/2 the width of my standard rip blade. And as a result it wastes less material and my saw works less hard making the cuts.

It did a very nice job of ripping the stock and I improved my yield from the stock I cut from.

But then my laziness kicked in and I needed to cut a piece of 1/2"thick utility plywood. I was too lazy to change blades and I expected a crappy cut.

I was amazed how clean the cut was. It was easily as clean as the special blade I use for plywood/melamine covered particle board that has a high tooth count and a negative hook angle.

I then tried it on melamine covered particle board and it again did an excellent job with perfectly clean top cut and a very clean bottom cut.

I have never tried using a rip blade on ply. Is this typical?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What blade model was it? If it was the LM75 then it's supposed to give you that kind of finished edge on stock 3/4" and smaller.
Are you using a zero clearance insert? If so, then that helps reduce the tearout, even with a rip blade.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've had similar impressive results with the low cost Diablo narrow kerf ripping blade. It rips like a maniac and even crosscuts surprisingly well, though not as well as the HiATB Popular Tools blade I use for plywood and Melamine when it really matters. But I would say the Diablo ripping blade is on par with the two combinations blades I have and almost never use anymore.

John
AHill said:

Are you using a zero clearance insert? If so, then that helps reduce the tearout, even with a rip blade.

I am not. But I intend to make one for the next project. I was just surprised how well the rip blade did the plywood and particle board.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I use this blade 80% of the time now.

If I have plywood or melamine I put on a crosscut blade.
danw