Finish for cherry
I know finishing a project is very subjective but I would like some input as to what you all use to finish cherry? I am completing a table made entirely of cherry and was going to use shellac as finish as I have done in the past. Any other options? IOW, what works for you when finishing cherry. Thank.
My now favorite is garnet shellac, followed by whatever (if needed) top coat the piece calls for. For a table that will see some wear, I would top coat it with something, in my case it would be an oil based varnish (alkyd/soya formula) or a quality waterborne. If you use a waterborne it would pay to make the shellac dewaxed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I like Thai Seed (seed shellac is not waxy); but garnet or Ruby look nice. If you want UV protection or the table will be hard use any of the GF waterborne topcoats would work.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
My experience is limited however I found that a light coat of BLO (wipe on-wipe off immediately) followed by several applications of garnet shellac worked very well for me. If blotching is going to be an issue then I used a wash coat of garnet shellac well sanded back before the BLO.

YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I did this 20+ years ago with some kind of oil followed by paste wax. I can't remember if it was tung oil or danish oil, but it was something I bought locally from the BORG or hardware store. It was simple and fast - and it looks much the same today. For no abuse applications it's a good option.

JR1 said:

I like Thai Seed (seed shellac is not waxy);

Are you sure that seed shellac is not waxy. Shellac is naturally waxy and unless it is listed as dewaxed, it probably contains wax.
No seed shellac is not waxy The wax is formed when seed lac is processed into button form by hydrolysis. You can test this yourself by wiping any seed lac onto some scrap and then trying to use ACE rattle can lacquer (it's just rustoleum NC lacquer) and it will not stick to waxy shellac.

BTW you can dewax any shellac yourself—just shake it with some MS and pour off the dewaxed shellac.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
The wax comes from the bugs that produce lac so shellac naturally has wax in it.
How much MS for a pint of shellac+
I haven't done any systematic tests but 25% MS (3:1) does the job.
homo homini lupus