Recommend an interior bowl rest
Per the subject, looking for a good but not budget-busting interior bowl rest. Let's say <$100.

Capacity range needed is for bowl up to nominally 16" x 8" deep. Interior space is tight because I like to turn with the tailstock in place (so the bowl-rest can't cross the center-line of the lathe since the space is occupied by the live center).

The other complicating factor is that the lateral travel on my banjo is only 6-7" (my lathe started life as a 12" swing and I use the original banjo).

Did some looking for recommendations on line and the only consensus seems to be that there is no consensus.

What do you like and why?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
If Robust makes one that fits your situation, that's my choice.
I use this one:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/111...owl%20rest

Works good for me.
I got the robust. Very stable to the end and Robo hippie recommended it
You can make one yourself easy enough for <$20, assuming you know somebody with a welder. (And yes, the $20 figure includes a couple beers for the one who welds.) Hacksaw, propane torch, vise, pipe, and drill is all you need. Nice thing is that you can make several with one 3' piece of round stock & bend them how you wish to best fit your lathe/needs.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
I also have the Robust and like all things Robust it is as well made as possible. However, like most any inside tool rest the post gets in the way on some cuts with a gouge. I find I generally only use it when I'm finish scraping on the inside. It's great for that.
Steve K

Mike

I have also been wanting a Robust to and do not think anything is better.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The Robust interior bowl rest fits you budget. Thing is, if you're really serious into bowls, you will want an interior and exterior bowl rest. I used to have one of those "S" curve ones. It was limiting for both interior and exterior use. A straight tool rest works fine for exteriors, but you will need to adjust it often. Robust tool rests have a hardened steel insert on the top edge, which resists dings. And, they are very comfortable to use.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well, there are 3, the Oneway, the Robust, and that blue one from Craft supplies. The Oneway bounces when you are way out on the end. The Robust is solid all the way out to the tip. However, on both the Oneway and the Robust, the tool post gets in the way. I also have the blue one from Craft Supplies. It has the best shape, but is cast iron, and a bit wide and flat. The flat part is in the way if you use it on the outside of a bowl if you like to drop the handle. If it had hardened drill rod on it, it would be ideal. With that design, you set it up with the post just about even with the rim of the bowl. The recurve allows you to work the rim, then as you turn out the inside, you just pivot the rest inside the bowl, you don't have to move or wiggle the banjo around at all. I am getting some prototypes done with that curve to see if it can be made for an amount that is affordable. Compound curve like that is difficult to make from 1/4 inch stock, especially when it is at a 15 degree angle, which will be snug up against a 12 inch diameter bowl.

I have the outside rests from both Robust and Oneway. Most of the time on larger bowls, I use the Oneway because it is from a larger arc, 17 inch diameter or some thing like that. The Robust is a 12 inch diameter arc and is tighter than what I prefer most of the time. I was talking to Dale Larson, former AAW head, and he prefers the Robust.

The hardened drill rod is kind of like variable speed, once you use it, you never want to go back. I tried a couple of the 1 inch round bar stock tool rests, and they just didn't 'feel' right.

robo hippy