zero clearance insert for dado set
Good morning,

About to make a zero clearance insert for my dado set. Do I have to make a separate insert for my Freud dado set and my Freud box joint set, or will can I get by with just the wider one?

Thanks
Mikey
If you really want zero clearance, it depends on how wide a dado you make the zero clearance for. You said an insert for your "dado set." Keep in mind that your dado set is capable of being configured for different width dados or rabbets. So one zero clearance insert will not be zero clearance for every possible combination.

I have a throat plate that accepts separate rectangular inserts and make separate ones for each dado width I use. If one of those fits my box joint set, I use it.

Remember also that your box joint set is able to do two different widths, depending on which side of the blades you put together. Zero clearance for the wider width would not be zero clearance for the narrower one. However, a backer board also helps reduce tearout on box joints.

A zero clearance opening in a throat plate is mainly to reduce tearout by supporting the edges of the kerf. If you use an insert that is wider than the particular configuration of your dado set or box joint set up, you might find the kerf satisfactory, with minimal tearout. If it is not good enough for you, then make a zero-clearance insert for that particular setup.

All that said, experiment and see what works best for your purposes. It might seem like a lot of trouble, but if you're planning to do a lot of woodworking, it will pay off in the long run.
I have two dado sets, one for my table saw and one for the radial arm saw. Both make perfectly clean cuts without any zero clearance insert.

Do you really need it?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A ZCI really only keeps the chips from flying on through cuts. On a non through cut the quality of your blade set, and how sharp it is will ultimately determine how clean, and or ragged your trench will be. Plus a smallish difference for wood specie, and/or if it's plywood.

But a really nice dado set is a good expenditure of $$$$ if you make many of them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
A dado is no different than a regular saw blade - meaning, you will get less chipout with a dedicated ZCI.

John
Mikey,

I have a set of plans that I sell for an throat plate that has replaceable insert. I have different insert for thin kerf, thick kerf, the Freud box joint set, and dados.

I sell it through Sawtooth Ideas which includes a virtual 3D model along with a full color PDF with measured drawings. If you wish, I will be happy to send you the PDF plans for free. I can't provide you the 3D model, but can send the plans. (But feel free to buy them with the model if you wish! Lol)
See the plans here

Just pm me an email address and I will send the plans along.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
For dados, blue painters tape works as well as a ZCI.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill