J.C. Penny is getting back in the appliance business
I just read about this.

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/ana...%2D02%2D03%2D16
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I guess after closing maybe 100 stores, it is taking the condensed route to survival then diversifying it's market.

The best car battery I ever had came from them. It was expensive but I used it for at least 8 years- it ended up on the lawn tractor for a couple years.
It's my understanding that appliances are mostly sold on razor thin margins, can't imagine that will help them out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

It's my understanding that appliances are mostly sold on razor thin margins, can't imagine that will help them out.

Probably just get more people "into" the store- more traffic, more sells.
And the appliances will be toward the rear or side to make the folks walk past high sell items.
I'm thinking that if I'm not prone to shopping at Penny's in the first place, having appliances there isn't going to do much to entice me.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Apparently they brought in new marketing executives with Home Depot past experience. That might be driving this.

It's nice to have another vendor to get pricing from.

When I moved up here from Long Island all we had was Sears and Montgomery Ward. It didn't matter if you wanted to buy a suit or a drill press. That was all that was here.

Now we have Macy's, J.C. Penny, Sears, Kohls, Starbucks, Starbucks, Starbucks, H & M. Circuit City is gone, but Best Buy is here.

In any case I welcome another vendor to bring down the price.

When I bought my DeWalt Miter Saw (before Amazon.com) it was $399.00 everywhere. Then Home Depot came to town, Sears carried the saw and Lowes came to town. In a four month period of time it went from $399.00 to $299.00 (at which time I bought it). Later on it dropped another $20.00. Competition is a good thing.
somewhere I read that some stores, (maybe lowes?) the appliances are actually sold through a 3rd party. but the retail store fronts the floor space and the employee's, but it doesn't own the stock.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

meackerman said:

somewhere I read that some stores, (maybe lowes?) the appliances are actually sold through a 3rd party. but the retail store fronts the floor space and the employee's, but it doesn't own the stock.

I shopped appliances recently and read through Consumers Reports. I would think that they would have mentioned that if it were so. It could be. But I saw no mention of it.

But as long as the store does not shirk it duty on repairs, warranties, or returns I don't see an issue with this.
meackerman said:

I worked for Lowes several years ago. Appliances are indeed owned by the manufacturer but sold by the retailer. The manufacturers pay for the space, delivery and commissions for the salespeople.

I wouldn't know where to find a Penny's if I had to.
Snipe Hunter said:

[blockquote]meackerman said:

I worked for Lowes several years ago. Appliances are indeed owned by the manufacturer but sold by the retailer. The manufacturers pay for the space, delivery and commissions for the salespeople.

I wouldn't know where to find a Penny's if I had to.

[/blockquote]

Here ya go.

Got 18 of them.