UV Air Purifier for HVAC System?
Trane just did my semi-annual HVAC maintenance inspection. The tech is pushing to install a Honeywell UV light to keep the coils sterilized and make the air "more pure and smell better". Cost is $580 + a yearly $100 bulb.

Anyone give me any advice or recommendation....Is it worth it?

Thanks!
Is there a current problem that needs to be solved? If not, your solving a problem that does not exist.

My guess, upselling because he can.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
They do work, however, there are a lot of considerations before anyone could tell you if it is necessary.
What type filter system do you have now?
Why is the UV light suggested?
If there is an air/odor/mold problem- what is causing it and should that be fixed first?
What is your goal? Prevent mold on the coil or kill airborne germs and bacteria and so on?

There is wattage vs air speed vs exposure time vs area considerations.
There is constant exposure to surfaces. The UV-C in the 200nm- 280nm range can damage plastics if exposed to closely or for too long, including coatings on wires and drain pans.

Perhaps you would need two lights to do the job you want?
The bulb may need to be cleaned every month or two for it to be efficient.
The bulb may not last a year.

Like I say, they do work, but there are too many ways to answer your question.
No problem that I know of. The tech sounded to me like he was upselling. I'd never heard of UV lights with HVAC, so I told the tech I'd like to think about it and do some internet searches.
frule said:

No problem that I know of. The tech sounded to me like he was upselling. I'd never heard of UV lights with HVAC, so I told the tech I'd like to think about it and do some internet searches.

Any first and best step is to have a good filter system like an april air 2210 or similar. If your filter system is cheap, the UV light is a wasted effort in my opinion.
They work. They have their place. Its not Joe Average's home. Some forms of severe allergies or immune system deficiencies. Some places frequented by the chronically ill. Daycare places can benefit. Spend your money on a better filter system and some more insulation or draft sealing.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

They work. They have their place. Its not Joe Average's home. Some forms of severe allergies or immune system deficiencies. Some places frequented by the chronically ill. Daycare places can benefit. Spend your money on a better filter system and some more insulation or draft sealing.

Already have 4" media filters in my returns and plenty of insulation......It's looking like the UV light is overkill for us. Think I'll skip it.

Thanks, Fred