Carter bowl gouge split down the middle....
Called Craft Supplies and Carter. Both were very interested and Craft Supplies is sending me a return label. I emailed both companies the pictures I posted here. I'll let everyone know what happens.
VH07V  
Glad to hear that LOYL was unharmed. Also, glad to hear that you are being treated as expected by Craft Supply and Carter.

From the pics, it looks like the fold/weld flaw suggestion combined with the brittle failure seems like a likely explanation. If you sweep a magnet through the shavings and turn up the missing chip, it would not hurt to include it in the package when you send off the 2 parts. I trust that CS reminded you that they do not need you to clean up or rustproof the tool pieces in any way before you mail it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It would be a miracle if I find the missing piece in all the chips.
Craft Supplies didn't ask me to do anything to the tool before sending.
VH07V  
EightFingers said:

It would be a miracle if I find the missing piece in all the chips.

That would be true in my shop as well.

EightFingers said:

Craft Supplies didn't ask me to do anything to the tool before sending.

Exactly!

We have experienced people binging in pieces that they found after an incident that they had used a wire brush on a grinder to clean up the dirt and rust before turning in the pieces. They thought that they were being helpful.

No insult intended to anyone here by my pointing out that it was best for the pieces be sent in in their original (post-failure) condition.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The magnetic bases on some of the shop lamps work great for metal detecting in the woodshavings...... Done that many times as well as just grabbing gouges that have fallen on the back side. Just sweep it through the shavings.

robo hippy
robo hippy said:

The magnetic bases on some of the shop lamps work great for metal detecting in the woodshavings...... Done that many times as well as just grabbing gouges that have fallen on the back side. Just sweep it through the shavings.

robo hippy

I have 50lb (pull) N50 rare-earth magnet taped to a broom handle for that sort of thing. Of course if I let it touch anything I have to slide the metal away as I often can't get enough gripe to pull it away
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
iclark said:

No insult intended to anyone here by my pointing out that it was best for the pieces be sent in in their original (post-failure) condition.

At one of the failure analysis courses I took years ago, the instructor mentioned the same thing. He said there's a tendency for people to pick up the pieces and see if they can fit them back together again. "Well, of course they fit," said the instructor, "they fit before they came apart."

Fitting pieces back together destroys the surface for any kind of microscopic or electron microscopic evaluation.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Quote:

After seeing that, I'm now 95% sure there was a defect in that tool.

I'm not a metallurgical engineer but I can definitely agree with that..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

When I looked at it really close, that was my conclusion. I have two of those gouges (same model) and I'm just this side of timid when using the second one. I'm hoping the broken one was a one in a million occurrence!
VH07V  
Well, I received my replacement gouge yesterday, so I'm set. Actually, was all done pretty fast considering I live in Hawaii. Still would have liked to see something about what they thought may have happened. Maybe I'll send them an email in a couple weeks and ask what they found out.
VH07V