Carter bowl gouge split down the middle....
I would also go straight to Carter, rather than the retailer. I would be surprised if their response were anything other than: we will ship a replacement out along with a pre-paid label to return the broken tool so we can understand what happened.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
WOW.
looks to me it turned brittle when the flute was ground out by the manufacture that would cause a bad catch. she is lucky that piece didn't hit her.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Man that is something! Haven't seen that before anywhere. I'm glad your wife is OK.

imapseudonym said:

I would also go straight to Carter, rather than the retailer. I would be surprised if their response were anything other than: we will ship a replacement out along with a pre-paid label to return the broken tool so we can understand what happened.

Maybe instead they should give a coupon for D-Way tools.

Doug
Whew! That's an amazing failure in the gouge. Glad it was the only thing damaged. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the vendor wants it back for analysis.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Woodshop said:

WOW.
looks to me it turned brittle when the flute was ground out by the manufacture that would cause a bad catch. she is lucky that piece didn't hit her.

Don

That would explain it if the tip broke off but not the length.

I also would go directly to Carter and send them the pictures also. I could bet 100% they would be glad it is only a tool to replace instead of a hospital bill.

I only seen that a few times in the Air Force with a B1 bomber in the main beam and about 4' of it was broken off.

Back then the movie Aracknafobia was playing so we called it BAD WOOD.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
man, that really is nuts!!!

glad she didn't get hurt.
I know if I was working for Carter I would want to get the tool back to see it and know what went wrong. Glad your wife wasn't hurt.
Rodney
Ditto

AHill said:

After seeing that, I'm now 95% sure there was a defect in that tool. (I'm a metallurgical engineer by education.) The long jagged edge is classic of something we call brittle fracture. Brittle fracture occurs when things happen very quickly and the stress applied overwhelms the ability of the tool to bend or yield. Kind of like when you pull silly putty quickly. It breaks vs. stretches. It's possible, but unlikely a catch by itself resulted in brittle fracture. If you look at the surface of the crack, and see a bright part next to a shiny part, that's evidence of a void prior to the mishap. If there are lips on the edge of the crack that make a 45 deg angle to the tool, then it's ductile fracture (i.e., it stretched some before it cracked).

[blockquote]EightFingers said:

She's ok, just a little embarrassed that it happened. She was turning some very hard eucalyptus. I bought the gouge at Craft Supplies so I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Another thing, this was not on a "big" lathe, it was on the Delta 1 HP lathe, she said it was set at speed "4", (10 is the fastest)

Here's a pic:

[/blockquote]
I'm glad she's ok!
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Way back when I was just starting out I had a catch throw my gouge into the chuck. Took a chunk out of the gouge and took a chunk out of the chuck jaw. It was a real eye opener to say the least. Anyway I resharpened the gouge and used it for many years. If that didn't break the gouge I doubt I could break one getting a catch in wood.

It was a Sorby 1/2" spindle gouge.

Twinn
Will post for food.