Is it possible to sharpen a carbide BS blade
I have a Lenox 1" blade on my Jet 18" BS and have used it for years. I bought it (actually 3 ) when a WNetter was selling them in the S&S for really cheap. It is not cutting quite as well as it used to and I recently saw a post, I believe by Jack, on sharpening BS blades. I was wondering if a diamond stone would work sharpening this blade. I could always put on one of the other two and it would probably last the rest of my life but my Scottish souls hates waste. Any thoughts gratefully accepted.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
There's little doubt in my mind they could be sharpened with a diamond stone...it might be tricky keeping the teeth uniform. If mine gets dull I think I'll call Industrial Carbide and see if it's cost effective getting it sharpened.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ken, I had the same question several months back. ruffcutt recommended this company:

Daily Saw Service

I emailed them and they confirmed that they restore the factory grind to the teeth. The Lenox woodmaster CT and trimaster both have triple chip grinds and my local BS resharpening company can not do it.

If you band has a particular grind to it, you will probably not receive a good quality cut if the factory grind isn't restored.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Trend Diamond Sharpening Solutions at the West Springfield Woodworking Show has a tapered half-round file for sharpening various tools. Carbide band saw blades were not mentioned but would likely work. You can ask at technical@trend-usa.com.

I have sharpened regular blades using a magnifying device and those inexpensive 20 for $10 imported diamond bits on a Dremel. Results were OK considering I was wearing the blades down fast cutting burls.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I sharpen carbon steel blades with a Dremel and cyndrical stones used for chainsaw teeth.Try e-mail to Dremel to see if they have either diamond or the green carbide stones for your purpose.

mike
Scott,
I would think you could probably make a jig that sets on your bandsaw table to hold your sharpening stone so you maintain a consistent angle while you sharpen. I would imagine if you can dress the face of each tooth you should be able to sharpen the blade. Then again I may be wrong. Unless it is a chisel or a plane I don't know much about sharpening it. Im guessing it may not be as good as a factory grind but it will just cost you some time and worst case is your blade is still dull when you are done. Or I guess you could ruin it but I can't see that happening as long as you are careful.

For having a sharpening service sharpen blades it is a mixed bag. All the manufacturers except Laguna say their blades can not be sharpened. All the sharpening services I've talked to say they can sharpen them. Which one is correct I don't know. I'm going to try having one of my Woodmaster CT blades sharpened and I'll let everyone know if it pans out or if it is a disaster.
Ken, if the blade has a round gullet, it definitely can be sharpened with a diamond burr held in a Dremel, with the blade right on the saw....Just choose a burr with the diameter slightly smaller than the diameter of the gullet...and follow the instructions on the Youtube video.Now it may take slightly longer to sharpen because carbide is much harder than blade steel, but it will definitely worth it...and the blade will cut faster than when it was new...guaranteed!!

I developed the technique many years ago {like about 20 years}, and since then, several guys have made Youtube videos on the method...One guy even designed a "speed test" ...he timed a cut using a new blade and a weight to move the miter gauge, then he sharpened it on the saw and tested it again with the weight, and the "resharpened" blade was 30% faster on the same wood.

Heres a video showing the technique..I couldn't find the vid showing how the person demonstrating that even a new blade could be sharpened to make it cut faster..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akVVJo3G0M
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I remember your post very well. At the time I wondered if it would work for a carbide saw blade. I have the diamond burrs and the time. However, I also have two more of these blades and since this blade has lasted me about 10 years I wonder if I should bother.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
Quote:

I wonder if I should bother.

Good point Ken...and knowing your "advanced age", it may not be worth the time you have left!!!! ..Just kidding you of course!!!

I would weigh how long it takes to replace the blade against how long it takes to sharpen it...Knowing how I am, I would probably just sharpen it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Ken,
If you do sharpen your blade let me know how it works out. My blade is 1.3 tpi so even though it is over 14' long I don't think it would take that long to sharpen myself should I decide to try.