Flather Brothers hand plane
Hi guys.
My wife bought an old hand plane made of wood. The Brand stamped into the blade is "Flather Brothers". I can't find any information about this company anywhere. My assumption is that is likely made in England based on the "Flather" name. I know there was a company that made braces that had the name "Flather" but I don't know if the two are related. I would post a few photos but I'm not sure how to post them.
If any one has information please share.

Cheers,
Dave
Did you see these?

web page

web page
Thank you for those links. I had not seen those websites before. I had assumed the plane may be connected to D. Flather and sons and I will continue to assume that it is. There certainly is not much information out there on this company.
What kind of plane is it? Goodman 3rd edition, British Plane Makers from 1700, does not list any Flathers. Neither does Pollak in American Wooden Planes.

Perhaps Josh Clark at Hyperkitten or Lee Richmond at the Best Things may know something.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Jonathan S said:

Goodman 3rd edition, British Plane Makers from 1700, does not list any Flathers.... Perhaps Josh Clark at Hyperkitten or Lee Richmond at the Best Things may know something.

Yo.

D. Flather and Flather & Sons were operating in Sheffield from the 1850s to the 1950s. They are best known for making Joiner's tools of all sorts.. braces, boring tools, layout tools, spokeshaves, turnscrews, etc. I've never seen a Flather plane, and the information and advertisements I have don't mention planes anywhere.

We'd need a few pictures to help further I think.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Speculation - They didn't sell planes but they sold irons. User made and an OTC iron perhaps.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

How do you post a photo here?
You da man Josh!!! I figured you would be in the know.

Jonathan

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Wood-snow said:

How do you post a photo here?

You need to host the photos somewhere. I use photobucket, but there are other photo hosts such as flicker. I'm sure google will reveal more. Most are free. Set up an account, upload the photos, and then copy and paste the image code into your post here.

HTH
Jonathan

In the questions about forum a couple floors down is a lengthy post on how to, as well as a thread where folks post test photos.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.