Disston D 8 panel saw
Not a regular here, but need some advice. This morning I picked up a Disston D8, it appears to be a 10 TPI crosscut panel saw and despite being fairly dull actually cuts pretty well. I got this at the Restore for a princely sum of $2.50, and the saw shows no damage other than not being cared for. The blade is quite rusty and/or crusty (I may try to get some pics later), so much so it's very difficult to make out the markings on the blade. Couple of things: is there a way I can clean this and not damage the Disston markings? I fear any attempt to remove the rust will also remove them. 2nd: the screws (bolsters, whatever they are called) that hold the handle are loose, but the nut side turns with the slotted slide. If I remove the handle for the rust job mentioned above, how do I get those loose? For the record, I'm not much of a hand tool guys but want this for an occassional cut as well as for the cool factor. Plus, it was almost free.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
There is a good tutorial here by our own Daryl Weir.

To remove saw nuts that spin, I took an old handscrew and drilled a hole of sufficient diameter (slightly larger than the nut) through one jaw. I clamp the hand screw on the handle with the one jaw over the offending bolt, and the other with the hole allowing access to the offending screw. This has never failed me. Put a bit of pressure on it and it will prevent the bolt form spinning, so you can unscrew the nut.

HTH
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Thank you, that article and your advice will get me started.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jonathon, wanted to check back in on the clean up: your handscrew trick worked like a charm. Now I'm following the cleaning process for the plate; thanks much!
Yeah, the old handscrew trick has never failed me! Your going to have to build a saw vise and learn to sharpen that puppy. Before you know it you'll have 20 saws and you'll be thinking about selling your table saw!!!!!

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge