cool blocks or ceramic guides for bandsaw?
Need to get metal guides off.wondering which to replace with?
When I bought the saw I was told it had cool blocks but it has metal. Thanks. Bill
What kind of work?

For using a 1/2" blade, I like the standard steel blocks. For scroll work, I embed the 1/16" blade in some Ipe scrap I have where the blocks would usually go. Don't scroll too often.

Im not fan of cool blocks. They abrade too easily I think and then defeat the purpose of having a "guide" at all.

Never used the ceramics.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Bill

Right now I have the Roller bearings on my 17" grizzly and do not like them since I have had 6 of the 10 seize up, but I looked into the ceramic guides but have not got them yet so I know nothing about them. I do know everyone who owns a Laguna BS love them.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bill,

A friend of mine has ceramic guides on his saw. He believes they led to what could have been a catostrophic fire, as he occasionally sees sparks coming of the blocks.

I was at his shop to use one of his machines, and he asked me if I smelled something "hot". I did, but very faintly. He had been smelling it for days. We found quite by accident that there had been small fire in the lower wheel enclosure of his bandsaw. He had used the saw two or three days before. Oddly, even though all the wire above the sawdust was burned through, and the paint inside the enclosure was scorched, the outside was unaffected.

I don't know how likely this is to happen, or if that was even the cause, but it is something to think about.

For me, I have been perfectly satisfied with cool blocks. In over 18 years of fairly heavy use, I have used only 2 sets on my Jet.

Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com
I use the cool blocks and love them. Easy to adjust and not worry about nicking a blade and damage.
John T.
I have ceramics on a Laguna that always has a 1" carbide blade on it. I like them for a wide blade like that. I also have a 14" Delta that usually has a 3/16" blade. That one has cool blocks, and I like them a lot for a narrow blade. You can support as much of the blade as you want without fear of damaging the teeth...you can't do that with a ceramic. So, it depends on the size blades you are using and the kind of work you do. I'd try the cool blocks first.
Bob
Arlin, I have the Grizzly GO513x and replaced all the original bearing with ones from Accurate Bearings when the stock ones started to seize.Then decided I didn't like the bearing setup, so I converted to rectangular holders, and use scraps of lignum vitae. If you have access to a welder, or can braze, it is not too hard a conversion.
Here is another option. Been using these for a little while and totally happy with them.

Previous post on woodnet
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I have cool blocks on my 14" Delta. As others have said, you don't have to worry about ruining a blade. They are sort of soft but still work fine; over 10 years on the first set. I have a friend who needed a quick fix on his 14" saw so he cut a piece of hard maple to fit. That was a couple of years ago and it's still working OK.

The OE steel blocks are the worst option IMO. If they get out of alignment the blade is toast.

John
Yikes!
I thank you for this post!
Ag