Rikon 10-346 18 inch bandsaw recommendation.
I am thinking about getting a bigger bandsaw so that I can do some resawing. Not sure of how much capacity I might need. I think 12 inch would be enough but more always seems better.

I probably will go new and here is what I am looking at. All are within my budget, with the Rikon seeming to be the best buy. Its on sale now for $1950. The only one I have seen in person is the Rikon and I did like the looks of it. All are made in the Orient. I am thinking the Rikon 10-346 is about what I need at an attractive price, but I am willing to spend a bit more if the quality is a lot better. I am told that warranty support by Rikon is good.

The Rikon 10-346 bandsaw. Its an 18 inch bandsaw with an impressive 19 inchs of re-saw capacity. It has a 4 hp motor.

I am also considering a Laguna LT 18-3000 which is a very similar saw, only it has a Leeson 4 hp motor and 15.25 inches of resaw capacity.

Grizzly has a G0514X2B which is a 19 inch saw, 3 hp motor 12 inch resaw capacity.

Grizzly also has the G0531B which is a 21 inch saw with 14.25 inch resaw capacity. Pretty huge saw here.

I think the Jet 18 inch is probably close to the others too, but have not given it much consideration for some reason.

I am thinking the Rikon is pretty nice, any opinions?

I currently have a Delta 14 inch USA bandsaw (open stand, ¾ hp motor) and a Sears 10 inch benchtop (which is a Rikon 10 inch re-badged) I will probably keep one of these to go along with the big saw. The Delta is the nicest but the Sears/Rikon is nice enough and takes up the least space.

What are your opinions on the Rikon??
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
With band saws, bigger is almost always better.
I went from a Jet 14 to a Griz 19 and back to a Laguna 14, which I like very much, except that it is often too small.
With band saws, bigger is usually better.
"netters here tried to tell me that when I posted a similar question.
I did not listen.
Benefit from my error.
Ag
I think the Rikon is a no brainier. I needed a big resaw bandsaw a few years back and at the time MiniMax, Laguna and the new Grizzly with the 20" resaw capacity were the only options. I ended up with the MM20 mostly because I got a really good deal on it. A representative from SCM actually called me and made me an offer I could not refuse. That being said if the Rikon had been available at the time I probably would have bought it. It is a whole lot of saw for the money.
We have 2 of the 18" Lagunas (LT version) and they work just fine. Rikon makes very good bandsaws, no issue there. My concern would be trying to actually resaw 19" of serious hardwood with a 4 hp motor. It can be done if you go slowly. We frequently resaw 12-15" exotics with the Laguna and need to go slowly; another 4" would be pushing it. My suggestion is to ignore the 19" resaw capacity, assume it's really 15" and then do your performance/cost, etc comparison. You won't go wrong with either a Rikon or a Laguna.
sold an incredibly average 18" jet band saw for $750 and replaced it with a 10-340 for $700. one of the best tool exchanges i ever made. rikon sell much better tools than Jet produces today, IMHO.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
Playing devil's advocate here. If your goal is:

"..do some resawing. Not sure of how much capacity I might need. I think 12 inch would be enough but more always seems better."

..does that mean you plan to do a lot of resawing or a little bit?

If the latter, a riser kit and a new used 1.5HP motor should run you around $250 total for the Delta...

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Bought the Rikon 10-340 18 incher when it first came out over 10 years ago. Would do it again - hard to beat from a price/performance perspective, IMHO.

Doug
MKepke said:

Playing devil's advocate here. If your goal is:

"..do some resawing. Not sure of how much capacity I might need. I think 12 inch would be enough but more always seems better."

..does that mean you plan to do a lot of resawing or a little bit?

If the latter, a riser kit and a new used 1.5HP motor should run you around $250 total for the Delta...

-Mark

Mark, cut the man some slack. He just wants to buy a new tool
In all seriousness if you do buy a bigger saw don't get rid of the little one. I have my MM20 I keep for resaw work. I use this saw to resaw it's max capacity regularly and it always breezes right through anything I've thrown at it although hard maple is the hardest thing I've tried. Right next to my big saw sits a Laguna LT14SE that I keep a 1/4" blade on. This saw does all my scroll work so I'm not switching blades all the time.
I bought the 10-345 18" last year. My first impression was favorable. But I'm still trying to get it to resaw 12" veneers with little success. Most of the reviews on this saw are favorable, so I haven't given up yet. I've only worked on the problem a few hours. I found a cracked casting that Rikon is replacing at no charge, it's in the mail. I paid $999.00 at Woodcraft during their yearly sale. Not sure I would pay more than that. It looks like a decent $1000 saw for the price. My other band saw is an old Grizzly. If I had to do it over again I would go with the Grizzly.
I appreciate all the feedback, thanks!

I have it narrowed down to either the Rikon 10-346 or the Laguna LT18 3000.
I am leaning towards the Laguna....

I have watched the Laguna videos on the saws and like what I saw. (I realize he was selling his saws)
I am thinking the fence is better on the Laguna. The ceramic guides look like a better option too.
I also like the idea of a Leeson motor. I think the saw comes with a Resaw King blade which is a plus.

The positives with the Rikon are the increased resaw capacity (which I may or may not ever need) The price is a little less. The warranty is longer.

I talked to a Rikon dealer who had a vested interest in selling me the Rikon. I asked him what his honest opinion was of the Rikon and the Laguna. He said.... well you are putting me in a tough spot..... He said he has the Laguna and it is a better saw, but the Rikon is a good saw.

I have had 3 new trucks in my lifetime. The first two were compromises because of price. I always kept my eye out for my next truck... Wth my current truck I got what I wanted …. I've had it for 12 years and will probably keep it another 20 if it holds up... so..... I do not want to let a couple hundred bucks influence my decision on this saw.

Which would you choose? The Rikon or the Laguna?

I would like to get the nicest saw.

Frankie
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.