PM Drill Press - Worth it??
Opportunity to buy a PM PM2800 drill press. Price is real good at $250. Problem is chuck won't spin. The lighs, lasers, dro, and pretty much everything powers up but when I pull the switch nothing happens. Is it worth to to buy it and try to figure it out once I get home or should I just pass?

Does the motor make any sound at all? If you spin the motor pulley by hand, does it drive the spindle pulley/chuck? If you got nothing happening at the motor, but other electronics turn on, it sounds like a connection or switch problem on the motor. That's often an easily overcome problem... At the best case a loose connection, at the worst find a replacement motor.

If the motor comes on but the spindle doesn't turn, can you see what's happening with the drive belt? All in all, hard to imagine it's not worth a flyer for relatively low money.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
No motor makes no sound at all.
Don't this thing cost about $1200 and up? If so I am thinking it would be worth it to fix.

Arli
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
ID pick it up. Could be switch, capacitor, even a wire issue. Worth troubleshooting and I would think you can get your money out.

Doug
I would think worst case scenario is you will need to pick a motor up on EBay for $150-200 and you still have an excellent drill press for less than half it new cost. Best case it is just a loose wire or bad switch which sounds likely.
The newer PM's not what they use to be,to me its just another DP.But if I needed a DP I would check it out----Carroll
If that is the 2800a i'm not sure it is a bargain at any price. It got bad reviews and was replaced with the "b" version. I haven't heard many good things about it either.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I grabbed a RAS off the curb. The owner said he let the smoke out of the motor??? Took it home anyway. The safety key was missing. I disabled it in the switch by removing the the tab that blocks the on switch and the saw ran fine. So, you never know.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I would chance it myself but I don't know your situation. I picked up a PM contractor saw a while back for $100 cleaned out the switch box and the connection at the motor sold it for $400 a day or 2 later.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.