Where is Blacky's Boy??
Well, there wasn't much left of the old bird.
Servos outta be good fer sumptn.
Blacky's Boy said:

Plus I have a new hobby that is taking away some of the woodshop time. I've recently been getting into flying and building RC Quads/Helicopters.

Cool. Are you referring to quadcopters? I got into it a couple of months ago. Just finished a tarot 650s build. Almost rivals woodworking in terms of cost.
jussi said:

[blockquote]Blacky's Boy said:

Plus I have a new hobby that is taking away some of the woodshop time. I've recently been getting into flying and building RC Quads/Helicopters.

Cool. Are you referring to quadcopters? I got into it a couple of months ago. Just finished a tarot 650s build. Almost rivals woodworking in terms of cost.

[/blockquote]

Late last year I finished building an X-525 Quad that flies like a dream! And I recently purchased a used Blade 350QX that I finally got flying. Along with those two I have assorted mini quads for indoor entertainment. Those I like to fly with my daughter.

Additionally I have an old Walkera No60 Dragonfly Collective Pitch Helicopter that I'm rebuilding using machined parts (because you can't find a feathering shaft for it ANYWHERE), a Blade 200SRX fixed pitch heli, and a WLtoys V977 Collective Pitch mini copter.

And yeah, the costs really start to add up and it's easy to get sucked into buying new and better quads without really being ready for them or even "needing" them.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Blacky's Boy said:

Late last year I finished building an X-525 Quad that flies like a dream! And I recently purchased a used Blade 350QX that I finally got flying. Along with those two I have assorted mini quads for indoor entertainment. Those I like to fly with my daughter.

Nice. I also have a blade 350qx3 and yuneec q500+. The yuneec is great at aerial video/photo. My dream copter would be an Inspire with the new x5 camera but unless I win the lottery I don't see that happening. Have you done any fpv flying (with goggles)? I'm leaning on doing that next. But I want to see how the whole faa regs shakes up first before I put that kind of investment.
jussi said:

Have you done any fpv flying (with goggles)? I'm leaning on doing that next. But I want to see how the whole faa regs shakes up first before I put that kind of investment.

Not yet. But I certainly plan on trying it out! That is one of the things that attracted me to this hobby in the first place. But I want to become VERY proficient at flying LOS (Line of Sight) first before I going down THAT rabbit hole!

I'm really in it for the flying aspect and not so much the aerial photography. So a DJI Inspire is nice to look and definitely has some awesomely cool features but IMHO ultimately it'd be like buying an severely overpriced WW'ing tool I'd never use to it's full potential (and none of us here have EVER done that,....right? )

That being said, I'm looking to add a camera to my Blade 350qx some time in the future. Something simple like a SJ Cam 4300. That is, as soon as I'm more comfortable flying it.

BTW, I just registered with the FAA this weekend and got my reg #. I printed out some tags and affixed them to the larger quads/helis in my "hangar".
See ya around,
Dominic
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Blacky's Boy said:

BTW, I just registered with the FAA this weekend and got my reg #. I printed out some tags and affixed them to the larger quads/helis in my "hangar".

..... in my "hangar"

Oh my, he has gone over the edge.....no spin recovery possible now!
Ag.....
He had to. It's the law now. I'm cheap so I got in right before the deadline of the registration $5 fee being waved.

Dominic, you plan on doing fpv with your blade 350?

Here's a video I took of my church. This was before registration was required. Now I would have to call my local airport and inform the tower because it was just wishin 5 miles of the airport.

http://youtu.be/8TNoanxe1ek

AgGEM said:

[blockquote]Blacky's Boy said:

..... in my "hangar"

Oh my, he has gone over the edge.....no spin recovery possible now!
Ag.....

[/blockquote]
Was that Signal Hill in the background about 1/2 way through? Looks like Long Beach harbor in the background too, or San Pedro?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
jussi said:

Dominic, you plan on doing fpv with your blade 350?

Probably not. It's such a stable quad that it makes an ideal aerial camera platform. Since I'm a bit of a speed freek I'm going to eventually build my own 250 sized racer
See ya around,
Dominic
Yes to all. Both San Pedro and long beach ports in the background. I think you can barely see signal hill as well in parts of the video. Rollings and Rancho Palos Verdes are there as well to the west of the ports.

Hoping to get to Catalina Island this month and get some video there.

cputnam said:

Was that Signal Hill in the background about 1/2 way through? Looks like Long Beach harbor in the background too, or San Pedro?