GE Triton dishwasher not finishing final drain cycle
Model: GSD5124 Installed May2001....owes us nothing.

Water level in the tub after final rinse varies...sometimes a quart, sometimes a gallon.

This is what I've checked so far:

Filters are clear.

Doesn't matter whether "Normal" cycle or "Rinse Only" cycle is used.

The mid-cycle water drain appears to work OK. I can see the water going into the garbage disposal and leaving the disposal to the sink drain. However, I don't know if the mid-cycle drain is complete or if there is water left. [I will chk this next time it's run.] So I doubt it's the drain hose.

The sink drain appears to be clear. No problem there.

Is it fair to say that the drain valve/pump are OK, too?

Could it be that the final rinse cycle is cutting short? Problem with some module inside the control panel?

If that's the case, the decision is easy. Time for a new dishwasher!

WRT a new dishwasher, don't need "bells & whistles;" not spun up about noise level, either. What models have impressed you folks?
Might just not be pumping well enough. It should push it pretty well into the disposal and then run for seemingly too long to make sure it's empty.

As for new ones... With all appliances buy what you like and as cheap as possible as the quality isn't great on any of them anymore.
We had a similar problem on a Bosch. Filters all looked clear. Finally, I removed the hose from sink thingy and connected it to a wet-dry vac, and had my wife pour water into the dishwasher a couple quarts at a time. After a few quarts we did clear some stuff out of the hose (broken glass and some small pieces of plastic) and the problem was solved.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
FWIW: problem solved. For those who might run into same problem, I embarrassingly suggest that you DOUBLE CHECK the drain hose!! Yeah, the water was emptying into the garbage disposal as I described in OP but NOT at the volume/velocity that it should be. Thanks to some neighborly advice, I disconnected hose from the GD & ran three "RINSE" cycles. More "stuff" came out into the brucket with each one. SHOULD HAVE done that first instead of "snaking," which could have made the problem worse!! :>(
The corrugated hose that comes with the machines is junk. I always replace it with heater hose as it doesn't catch all the crap in it.
Thanks, Robert! I'll remember that when I have to replace this one, which based on posts here and talking to "pros" @ the BORG, it's better to keep the old ones alive if fiscally sensible than buy new. The quality of the new stuff, even "high-end," certainly seems to be called into question quite often!
thanks, I need to go fix the dishwasher in my daughter's apartment. However that one doesn't drain at all, so it's probably further back in the chain