Cutting drop-in ceiling tile
Is there a tool that makes cutting the rabbets on the edge of ceiling tile panels easier (tiles that drop down below the grid)? I have a small room that has more cut down panels than full ones (these are on a 2'x2' grid) and using a utility knife is not as precise as I would like it to be. Alternatively, is it a method thing and I just don't have the right method?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Have you tried using your table saw? I not sure of the results, but worth a try.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
They make a hand held scoring tool to perform that task. One slice on top and one on the edge and the rabbet is cut by the blade. Generally available wherever acoustic ceiling tiles are sold. I bought mine at Home Depot.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I used a narrow strip of plywood beside the edge of the tile and slid the blade of an Olfa knife along the top of the ply to cut the depth. Face was cut using a straight edge.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I use a very sharp utility knife run against a firmly held carpenters square for the cut on the face side. Free handing the edge cut.

Side story:
Many years ago when I worked summers for my dad we installed trim at a new restaurant. We thought it was really strange that there were spay cans of Cruex jock itch spray all over the place. We kinda figured some of the other trades working the site had a real problem.......
Mystery solved when we saw the ceiling tile installers spray the visible cut edges with Cruex.

Dlbirks
dlbirks said:

I use a very sharp utility knife run against a firmly held carpenters square for the cut on the face side. Free handing the edge cut.

Side story:
Many years ago when I worked summers for my dad we installed trim at a new restaurant. We thought it was really strange that there were spay cans of Cruex jock itch spray all over the place. We kinda figured some of the other trades working the site had a real problem.......
Mystery solved when we saw the ceiling tile installers spray the visible cut edges with Cruex.

Dlbirks

I have a straight edge that is designed specifically for using a utility knife. It has an upright that protects the fingers from a blade that accidentally jumps the edge (if you cut enough pieces it will happen no matter how careful you are).

Here is a similar one: http://www.mybinding.com/keencut-laser-t...CFVcTHwod2LYEeA

You can mimic this by gluing a 3/4" x 2" piece of wood to the length of the cutting edge. It can save a finger or two. (But who's counting?)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
No tool that I know of. The ceiling guys just use a utility knife. I do it the same with the tiles that I have to install when there are lights in them.

The ceiling install business is pretty easy and profitable. In and out quick.
ya know, this made me curious, and i found this:

http://www.lifeandhome.com/toolpro-05110...hgodK9sONQ

How about that, and Amazon has it as a Prime candidate. Thanks....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
After you do a few it becomes very easy. I use a utility knife also. I did my basement celing on a bias using 2 X2 tiles. Had a ton of cuts on the ends because of the triangle pattern. But was easy work. I suggest though that you paint the edges white when you cut them. They will show. Good luck.
John T.