Gang grinder?
All,

I find that my innate laziness has overcome my desire to use the right grinding wheel for the right job. I have 1 grinder, and a wheel for bronze, for tools steel, a brush wheel, 2 grits of felt wheel, a mop, and I want to get a CBN coated wheel.

What I wanna do is make a single long bar to hold all those wheels and never have to change a wheel. The bar end would have a shiv which would to another shiv mounted on the grinder I have now to drive the whole thing.

But then, what I don't want is to a) kill my dumb self or b) have to spend 27 hours changing out the wheel in the middle.

What do you suggest?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I was looking through some old issues of Shopnotes the other day and they had a grinder setup with multiple wheels on it. It all ran off one motor.

I can't seem to find it at the moment in Google.

Found it. Issue 119.
Sounds like you need more grinders. I only have 6 and two buffers. I suspect that there are many people with more.
stav said:

I was looking through some old issues of Shopnotes the other day and they had a grinder setup with multiple wheels on it. It all ran off one motor.

I can't seem to find it at the moment in Google.

Found it. Issue 119.

this certainly seems to fit the bill
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Well, if the 20 seconds of effort to loosen a nut, replace a wheel, and tighten a nut has really become as burdersome to you as you indicate then what about a quick lock nut rather than a standard nut. This will save you countless seconds of turning and won't require hours of unnecessary re-engineering.

Do you realize you could have changed that wheel 2x in the time it took to make this post and read the replies You are falling even further behind if you keep reading.
http://www.sliponlocknut.com
I agree with you and MW. Changing grinding discs is a major pain. I've found a few options between Big Lots, Harbor Freight, and sales at Woodcraft & Lowes where you can get a bench grinder in the $30 - $60 range. The cheaper units are fine for spinning a brush or buffer disc.

One side note: true grinding wheels have an expiration date. They also have cautions regarding how to store them. Also, mixing uses can be dangerous. Grinding brass or aluminum on a wheel later used for steel can cause it to fracture. In my line of work, I've seen a few injuries from exploding wheels. It is not an area to skimp on.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
jgourlay said:

But then, what I don't want is to a) kill my dumb self

In that case you'd be best off considering getting a belt grinder for grinding non-sparking metals before you load up a wheel and it shatters on you.
The dust off grinding wheels running close to muslin or felt wheels will contaminate them.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Stav, thanks for that. I have every issue of shopnotes there ever was. I should have thought to look there.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

Mandrake said:

One side note: true grinding wheels have an expiration date. They also have cautions regarding how to store them. Also, mixing uses can be dangerous. Grinding brass or aluminum on a wheel later used for steel can cause it to fracture. In my line of work, I've seen a few injuries from exploding wheels. It is not an area to skimp on.

Yeah, just to be clear. I have purpose-made wheels for aluminum, copper alloys, and cast iron. As well as the other wheels we all have.

Sliplock nut: wow...THAT is every flavor of awesome! I will be getting some.