LV Plough Plane - Best Option?
I had an old stanley 45 with blades. I sold it too a collector for far more than I paid for it. It worked fine for cutting grooves for drawer bottoms, or box lids. It was just finicky, but once dialed in, cut a fine groove.

I want to invest the profit from that sale into the best option for cutting grooves. I like the efficiency of the LV Small plough, but am unfamiliar with other options, especially wooden planes?

However if I bought it LV plough, I would want the ability to use the wide blades, so I would go ahead and buy the conversion kit, in which case if I did that I would also buy the tounge cutters.

Does anyone use the LV Small plough to cut tongue's? I am seriously considering the LN #48 Tongue and groove plane. Will the LV small plough be as convenient, or work as well if I cut tongue and groove panels maybe 5 or 6 times a year?

Also, there is the factor that LV is reinventing the plough plane, and they are not available for sale right now. Anyone have more details?

I guess what I am asking is this. What is the best tool for cutting grooves for drawer bottoms, and is the LV Plough plane a good option for cutting tongue's? We're looking at a $420 investment, which I'm good with if it is the best option. I am a young man, and have many grooves ahead of me....

Thoughts?
Rob mentioned an announcement regarding their plow planes later this month. So unless you need it right away I would wait.
They show as out of stock on the LV website so no option but to wait.
~ Chris
I have no idea how good this plane is, but Japan Woodworker sells a Mujingfang plow plane for only $66. It even comes with a complete set of blades.

As far as the LN #48 and #49 go, they are one trick ponies. Great tools for tongue & groove joinery, but very limited to cut drawer grooves. You may also want to post a WTB in the SnS forum. You never know what will come up.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You are going to have to wait until early March for the LV answer, unless someone wants to unload their used one now.
AHill said:

I have no idea how good this plane is, but Japan Woodworker sells a Mujingfang plow plane for only $66. It even comes with a complete set of blades.

As far as the LN #48 and #49 go, they are one trick ponies. Great tools for tongue & groove joinery, but very limited to cut drawer grooves. You may also want to post a WTB in the SnS forum. You never know what will come up.

Set up for a pull (right handed)? Otherwise the fence needs to be moved to the other side for a right handed person to PUSH the plow plane.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I'm ok with waiting. I know they are making changes, including the depth stop.

I guess my question could be better stated like this.

Should I buy LV Plough and conversion kit, or some other groove solution around $200, and the LN 48 for $200.

Is the LV Plough the undisputed best choice for grooves?
Mike Brady said:

You are going to have to wait until early March for the LV answer, unless someone wants to unload their used one now.

I love my LV Plow but I'd sell it in a heartbeat if the next plow is a medium or a large.

For me it strikes me as the type of tool where a big plane can do the work of a small plane but not the other way around.

I think a larger plane would be easier to register to the wood as well.
Peter

My "day job"
Strokes77 said:

Should I buy LV Plough and conversion kit, or some other groove solution around $200, and the LN 48 for $200.

That's what I did because I wanted dedicated tooling.
I have no regrets.
Ag
I've owned the LV plow for over a year, with all the attachments, and it works very well. Pretty easy to set up, too.

That being said, I recently added the LN #48 for dedicated T&G work, or for easy, no-fuss grooves for panels, etc...

I'm curious to see the new plow option from LV, so I'd recommend that you at least hold off any decision until you get to see or try out the new option.

But I gotta say, the LN #48 is outstanding! I will be adding the #49 eventually. The LV plow will still get lots of use, though.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com