Side job
I do this for a family. For each baby I make 4 name signs. I think I have made about 20 different names now. This one the boy is named Neely.

John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Very nice.

Cool, but I can't read it because of the wood grain.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Oak is not my choice. This family has been doing this for years. I replaced the person who was doing this before. He used oak so I just continued. I saw a picture of one family room where they have dozens lining a shelf near the ceiling.
John

We need to clean house.
I also find the grain distracting. The leg of the "N" looks delicate with the short cross grain. Neely is going to get teased a lot in school.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Once they get to their homes they are never touched again. This family has had some really unusual names. One of the houses I saw pictures and they put led lights behind them - created a shadow affect.

I never worried about grain patterns - I just grab what wood I have available. You guys are correct that the grain in the picture looks distracting. In person - not so much.

They are fragile - but I have glue. I think of the 80 I've made (I think) I have broken 2 in the shop. The best wood would probably have been 3/4" plywood.
John

We need to clean house.
I've done similar with 1/2" and 3/4" (1" nominal) poplar with good effect and easy to work. Easily dyed or stained if needed. Grain is usually not that strong and often negligable. Looks good with just Arm-R-Seal or clear poly wipe-on.