Tow hitch crane
Anyone ever use of these? I'm thinking they would be nice for harvesting urban logs.

Tow hitch crane
Steve K

doesn't take much log to go over 1000 lb.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Wild Turkey said:

No doubt, sure would be nice on those pieces that I can't pick up though, not anywhere near that limit
Steve K

Steve K said:

[blockquote]Wild Turkey said:

No doubt, sure would be nice on those pieces that I can't pick up though, not anywhere near that limit

[/blockquote]
A ramp and a comealong would also work - maybe easier to leave in the truck too.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Maybe just a standard engine crane/hoist?

Even off pavement you can still raise it up and back your truck up under it.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Axehandle said:

That's what I was thinking. That and a chain saw and you can make quick work of harvesting urban lumber.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
They can be had new at HF for 159 pretty much any day of the year and they are all over the used market for 100-150.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
AHill said:

[blockquote]Axehandle said:

That's what I was thinking. That and a chain saw and you can make quick work of harvesting urban lumber.

[/blockquote]
OK, my clue-bag is empty on this one.

Are you suggesting loading a 130# engine hoist into the truck, taking it to where the tree is, unloading a 130# engine hoist, using it, then going through the whole process in reverse is a better idea than using a ramp - or even a good idea at all?

Maybe there's a good way to load an unload the engine hoist?

I know!

A second engine hoist!

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
MKepke said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

[blockquote]Axehandle said:

[/blockquote]
OK, my clue-bag is empty on this one.

Are you suggesting loading a 130# engine hoist into the truck, taking it to where the tree is, unloading a 130# engine hoist, using it, then going through the whole process in reverse is a better idea than using a ramp - or even a good idea at all?

Maybe there's a good way to load an unload the engine hoist?

I know!

A second engine hoist!

-Mark

[/blockquote]
The hoist in Steve's link has a shipping weight of 137 lbs.

I do not see one on the Northen Tools site, but the fellow that I used to buy most of my ShopSmith tools from had a hoist built into the rear of his pickup truck. He used it to get tools in and out of his pickup. IIRC, it mounted to the inside side-wall of the bed and to the bed to give good structural support. It could lift and swing a fully-assembled 520 in and out of the bed of his truck. It did not stand very tall when it was not in use. I don't remember what that hoist was called, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Axehandle said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have had a Harbor Freight engine lift in my shop and they are good for what they're designed to do. One of the things I noticed about the trailer hitch crane is that it appears to break down into much smaller components than the standard engine lift. I'm 65 and typically would be alone while setting either option up to use. I just don't believe I could load/unload the HF model by myself. In one of the revues I read the guy stated the hitch model could be used by one person.
Steve K