Define: Country Rustic
I was leafing through a magazine at the doctor's office the other day called Country Living. http://www.countryliving.com/

Every photo spread featured damaged, worn or crudely made furniture.

I guess it is "rustic". But for me it looks like the houses were furnished from garage sales in impoverished neighborhoods.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I think that is kind of furniture the antique stores call "primitive"

Looks and is built like you know what and is generally a waste of space and time.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
worn distressed used but not overly abused

I have built furniture and doors then instructed to make it look as described above..

What I have learned: if someone has thoughts about how it should look let them to the deed

It has been proven to quite popular among interior designers and architects in the mountain towns surrounding me here

primitive here is a whole 'nother level, one I have done but do my level best to avoid
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

LOML gets a similar rag....does nothing for me.

They come in and "stage" these homes for the magazine. IMO, they look like a fustercluck, every inch of space has something sitting on it.

Ed
It's the new fad - I hate it, especially when someone takes a perfectly nice antique and gouge, hit, sand, paint, and whatever to make a piece look old. Please if you want to do that to furniture buy a piece of garbage then distress it.

Of course when people get tired of them they sell them cheap at garage sells. I bought a waterfall dresser for $2 - it came out beautiful. All the kid's clothes dressers were once painted.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Probably means different things to different people, but to me it conjours up images of grandma's house. Basically simple furniture, much of it not mass produced or even store bought, that was solid, but old and showing considerable wear.

An older couple we know has decorated their whole 2 story farm house with what I would call "country rustic". The pieces are all antiques, some handed down through their families and some purchased at antique shops. I loved the look. It wasn't junky. It wasn't cluttered and it certainly wasn't faked or re-produced. It just looked like good solid furniture that had lived through several generations of use. There weren't really any matching pieces, but it all went together well. These folks had a great eye for this kind of thing. Their home should have been featured in a magazine as an example of how to do it right. At it's best, this is what country rustic should be.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

LOML's design flair is somewhere between 'country rustic' and 'Scandanavian modern'.

She says she knows what she wants when she sees it.

I say, "Yes, dear."
Cooler said:

I was leafing through a magazine at the doctor's office the other day called Country Living. http://www.countryliving.com/

Every photo spread featured damaged, worn or crudely made furniture.

I guess it is "rustic". But for me it looks like the houses were furnished from garage sales in impoverished neighborhoods.

Completely agree. I see small furniture stores with a sign up selling that stuff and yeah its awful. Better stuff at walmart. I have seen people take decent looking furniture and slap paint on it like a 3 year old and think it looks good.
In fact I have a small dresser in the shop that was solid wood with dovetailed drawers. Someone had painted it red with crap paint then later someone brushed on white paint very sloppily. Spent a while with a paint removal wheel and sanders to get the gunk off. Now waiting to hear what color to paint it for the daughter... If she doesn't take it with her when she moves out again I'll put it on the curb as I still won't want to keep it...
Wait until a relative(or three) brings you a piece of furniture(small dresser/bedside table/etc.) and wants you to repair it because a leg fell off/drawer came apart/etc.) and the reason it failed was because it was built with MDF, glue, and staples.

Have a BIL who used to buy 'Three Rooms of Furniture for ONLY $299!' every seven or eight months from Gaine's Furniture Outlet.
Tell them it's like taking your pet mouse to the vet for knee surgery.
Phydeaux