Alternate to Dry Wall
Not much will beat drywall for sound control. I'd rip the sheets down narrow enough so I could lift them, install and tape the joints and then cover with light wood paneling.

or... hire someone to life full sheets for you or even hang it. its cheap to have done.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Splinter Puller said:

or... hire someone to life full sheets for you or even hang it. its cheap to have done.

For just a few sheets lifted into place and screwed on a wall, I'm thinking friend, neighbor or a 12 pack to a guy at the local bar.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

well i talked my wife into hanging dry wall
she got a big charge out of told her friends she can now hang dry wall !!
got to love a good woman
south vietnam war collage
Woodenfish said:

We're talking 3 sheets of drywall... What is expensive?

I'd be amazed that a drywaller would come out to do 3 sheets at all, and if one did I'd bet it would cost plenty.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
CLETUS said:

[blockquote]Splinter Puller said:

For just a few sheets lifted into place and screwed on a wall, I'm thinking friend, neighbor or a 12 pack to a guy at the local bar.

[/blockquote]

+1. I'd just go find a couple of friends.

Its not just lifting the drywall to install, its getting it out of the truck, down to the basement, etc. If you can do that, you can hang the sheets with a drywall lift you rent.

If I were friendless, I'd hire a laborer from in front of Home depot. You are not looking for skill, just a strong back.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
CLETUS said:

[/blockquote]

True. If he was near me I'd do it for him for nothing.

As for the strength of homasote I have seen it vary. The stuff I have seen lately looks like a slightly stronger version of the black concrete sheet stuff. Easy to damage. Course if good homasote was affordable and available I'd have a few uses for it.
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]CLETUS said:

[/blockquote]

True. If he was near me I'd do it for him for nothing.

As for the strength of homasote I have seen it vary. The stuff I have seen lately looks like a slightly stronger version of the black concrete sheet stuff. Easy to damage. Course if good homasote was affordable and available I'd have a few uses for it.

[/blockquote]

rent this and you have no issues

you hang from the top down so a half day rental and you are on your way to taping drywall.....

HTH
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I was going to buy a lift as they were 129 at the time but figured it would be a while before I needed it for the house and storing way too much as it is. They work great and if you are going to need one more than two days it's cheaper to buy than rent.
Woodenfish said:

[blockquote]Jack01 said:

I am building a partition wall about 18 feet long and 8 feet tall.

I called couple of handyman service and got quotes, and they were quite bit expensive. So that will not be a choice.

We're talking 3 sheets of drywall... What is expensive?

[/blockquote]

Three sheets?
6' x 8' drywall?

That would cut down on the mudding/taping.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
4 x 12
Will post for food.