Federal Pacific Stab-Loc Breaker Boxes
Renting out my parent's old house, in '73 they upgraded from fuse box to a Federal Pacific breaker box. Had a new stove installed last week and the person installer reversed polarity and blew out the 40a breaker, had a hell of a time finding one, but did (Connecticut Electric, on Amazon), and everything works fine now. But the electrical supply houses we went to who didn't have any said most people replace the entire box as they are known to have "issues".

For all the sparky's out there who know of such things, do I have anything to worry about here. Basic 100a service to a 3br ranch house, maybe 10 circuits in the box. If it should be replaced (I'd go Square D) how many hours of labor are involved, ballpark? Don't know what to trust in what I get in a google search, some say no problem, others say the world is coming to an end.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Reversed polarity??????

Those breakers were known for not tripping at all.
John T.
Not a sparky here, but I had to replace a Federal Pacific box in a rental house I had, because of the house age, when we switched Ins. company, they required a "4 pt. inspection" And the FP boxes have to be replaced.
If you live in a house (at least in FL) that is 30+ years old, and have a FP box, and don't want to be required to change it, don't change your ins. company! They will require a 4 pt. insp. on roof, plumbing, elec, and hvac.

My FP breakers never failed to break, in 2 houses I have had for 20 years
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Reversed polarity??????

Dunno, not my area, that's what a parts guy told my brother who was hunting down the new breaker, I think he said that is what "fried" it. All I know is the old hardwired stove worked just dandy until this "installer" came along, so someone screwed the pooch with the breaker.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
must have been one of those ac dc models lmo
kinda think you got the luck finding a replacement breaker
south vietnam war collage
let me say this these panels / breaker have a high failure rate
i'd find a good electrican and have him look and give a quote to replace it get 2or 3 the wiring in the panel has to be checked for over heating
south vietnam war collage
Don't pay that electrician. You can't "reverse polarity" on a two pole breaker. He screwed up. Either he fixes it on his dime or don't pay him. FPE had issues with a couple series of single pole 15 amp breakers IIRC but that's it. If the rest of the panel is in good shape there is no reason to change it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

As a budding new home inspector, I'm supposed to tell buyers to have FP "stab-lock" panels inspected by a licensed electrician. They were recalled and are typically replaced. Here's a a good link for more info FPE Inspectapieda

I will list the FPE "Stab-lock" systems as a fire hazard because the breakers may fail to trip in response to overcurrent conditions or short circuits which can result in a fire. The breakers do not afford the protection in which they were intended.
Swap out the box and write it off. Much less trouble than dealing with a failure and won't land your bottom in court trying to explain why you rented out a place with a known hazard.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What is the opinion of Crouse-Hinds breakers/panels?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me