Ebony bandsaw guides
So has anyone ever tried it. I got a set of the Laguna ceramic guides for free but the ceramic inserts are busted. Being a cheap SOB I figured I would try something I have laying around the shop before I order replacements. My first choice would be to mill down some cool blocks to fit which I may still do but I will have to order a set first. My second choice would be lignum vitae which I unfortunately don't have. The next two hardest things I have are ebony and cocobolo. I just don't know if it is a big waste of time and the woods will just burn. If anyone has tried it I would like to hear what your outcome was before I invest the time. Thanks
I seem to remember someone posting a while back about using wood as cool blocks. I don't remember the species used or if there has been a follow up.

I tried searching but my search ability is lacking.

Maybe sometime else can remember.

Here is one thread on the subject, but it's not the thread I was thinking about. link
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
Someone posted about using lignum vitae. I will probably just end up ordering some phenolic cool blocks but I sure would like to use something I have on hand if it will work.
If I was picking between the ebony and cocobolo, I would pick cocobolo. I think the oils in the wood would (possibly) help with the lubrication and cooling.
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
I just remembered I have some white Teflon sheet that may do the trick. It isn't as hard as phenolic but it is close.
Quote:

I would pick cocobolo. I think the oils in the wood would (possibly) help with the lubrication and cooling.

Same here...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Agree with using Cocobolo because of it natural oils. Before the advent of steel bearings, it was used for bearings.
My copy of John Whites "Maintaining Wood Shop Equipment" is loaned out but in there I remember he recommends using
wood for cool blocks. If anyone has a copy it would be interesting to know what he recommends.

s
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
David, I have used cocobolo and lignum vitae, I can't say that I saw a real difference. Any dense wood will work. Years ago someone posted that they used white oak with good results, they soaked the endgrain in oil before using them.

I posted this just a few weeks ago. I used white oak because I had some handy and I am love it. Hated screaming bearing. After a couple of months I still love them.

I think any hardwood would work just fine.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks